Honda Foreman Forums banner

41 - 60 of 6191 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm using the 928 Honda and it's probably one of the prricier rigs but, it flat does the job. When I was shopping for this Honda I looked in alot of repair shops and noted alot of Craftsman snowblowers and others built similarly in for repairs. Most of the repairs were for the main drive shaft. If you look at Craftsman next to the Honda the main drive shaft off the engine is longer, which I theorize leads to increased stress on that shaft when torqueing under load. The Honda uses a short compact shaft and I've loaded it down plenty this year and have yet to break a rear shear pin. My Honda snowblower has completely idled my ATV plow, I like the fact the snowblower doesn't leave plow mounds everywhere. When you have large depth snows, the plow generated mounds get to be a hassle. My snowblower likes virgin snow. It will eat through anmost anything if it's virgin. I've found though if you drive thru the snow and then try and snowblow it, it's a hassle going over the humps created my the mashed down snow in tire tracks. I'm 44 inches deep in snow now with a 350 foot drive and I can snowblow the whole drive and everything around the house in about 1 hour. Good investment!

·
Premium Member
7,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
**** thats not bad at all thanks for the input! My dad and I went to lowes and home depot today and they were out of everything so we couldnt even look at the diffent styles they carried. Now with that Honda, is it a straight honda rig or is it just the honda motor?

·
Premium Member
7,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
What doesnt honda make anymore. I still love how komatsu makes heavy equipment and computer monitors lol. Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
138 Posts
QUOTE (H22ate @ Feb 11 2010, 01:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=145261
**** thats not bad at all thanks for the input! My dad and I went to lowes and home depot today and they were out of everything so we couldnt even look at the diffent styles they carried. Now with that Honda, is it a straight honda rig or is it just the honda motor?
It's complete Honda thru and thru, engine & tranny. Engine is great, I've yet to use the electric starter it comes with, starts first pull everytime.

·
Premium Member
7,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Im gonna have to price them at my buddies shop, It would be nice to get one around cost :) because I see they arent cheap!

·
Premium Member
7,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Gee thatnks lol! Im inbetween 2 purchases but Ill eventuall be buying both. Snowblower/Logsplitter..... I guess I need willy mays to make me a combo for both..... and Im sure it can be a salad shooter as well :giggle

·
Registered
138 Posts
QUOTE (H22ate @ Feb 11 2010, 02:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=145281
Gee thatnks lol! Im inbetween 2 purchases but Ill eventuall be buying both. Snowblower/Logsplitter..... I guess I need willy mays to make me a combo for both..... and Im sure it can be a salad shooter as well :giggle
LOL! Never thought of the salad shooter angle :rolleyes: . Keep us posted what you buy for a logsplitter, I'm still beatin my brains out with an ole Monster Maul.

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Honda snowblowers are one of the best around in my book, but I know what you mean about swallowing hard when you saw the price. But on another note I have a old cheap Murray snowblower that I have had for about 10 years or better and the only thing I have done to it is change the belts, paid $500 for it. Now does the cost of the Honda justify just being a Honda? Just a thought. :confused

·
Registered
138 Posts
QUOTE (Kipes @ Feb 11 2010, 02:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=145283
Honda snowblowers are one of the best around in my book, but I know what you mean about swallowing hard when you saw the price. But on another note I have a old cheap Murray snowblower that I have had for about 10 years or better and the only thing I have done to it is change the belts, paid $500 for it. Now does the cost of the Honda justify just being a Honda? Just a thought. :confused
Agreed Kipes! What ever gets the job done. I've not used other brands to compare (which is why I quizzed you initially). Seems to me others like Airens and Husqys might be more cost effective and still get the job done. We get alot of snow here annually so I opted for dependability, good engineering and power, Honda rates out well in these categories. Then I looked around the repair shops to see what was broke alot. Craftsman and JD machines were on the floor alot.

·
Premium Member
7,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Yea I know what you mean Kipes. When I bought my pressure washer this summer I spent extra money for one with a B&S motor over the honda. My pap was always into small engine stuff and I guess that rubbed off on me making my decision on an ol reliable Briggs. As fsr as splitter go Ive been looking at them all summer and I finally decided I want a big one so I can put the 4-way splitting head on it. I was looking at the troy built 32 ton today its like 2100 so Im hoping to get something around that price area but I would like to buy something on a close out end of season deal. I spent quite a bit of time this summer with my buddy the maul and you and I both know Id rather abuse a slpitter than have the stiff back and sore shoulders!

·
Registered
270 Posts
QUOTE (Timberdoodle @ Feb 11 2010, 02:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=145282
LOL! Never thought of the salad shooter angle :rolleyes: . Keep us posted what you buy for a logsplitter, I'm still beatin my brains out with an ole Monster Maul.
i just built my dad one a couple months ago. thinkin it would be the cheap route, turns out it wasnt. almost as much as buyin one. if id scrounged longer an harder it probably woulda been but it was gettin cold fast an i didnt want pops to have to hand split anymore. its a 6.5 horse, with an 11 gpm pump an 4 inch cylinder. its got a lot more ass than i thought it would, but id still like to build one with a 20 horse and 6 inch cylinder. i wanna split my logs sideways. :tongue

·
Premium Member
7,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
HAHA Ive looked that route too because theres a few hydrolic shops where I could get my neccesities but the steel I would need to build something like that is really where cost comes into play, its rediculous!

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Believe it or not dieselmudder I have one that will split them sideways, at least I think it will when we tried it bent the 14 inch I-beam. Its a home made job(not by me) mounted on the back of a 1942 Farmall H and runs off the pto in the back. Have never run across a log it wouldnt split.

·
Registered
270 Posts
yeah my uncle is the equipment superintendant for one of our parent companies, i was hopin he could get me a cylinder an i beam for free, no luck, so i found a 3 point setup for a tractor on craigslist for 200 bucks. so i saved a couple hundred there, but hadta buy the rest. an i guess a few pieces of steel fell outta the bed of my work truck cause i just happened to find em layin by my garage one afternoon.....

·
Registered
270 Posts
QUOTE (Kipes @ Feb 11 2010, 02:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=145292
Believe it or not dieselmudder I have one that will split them sideways, at least I think it will when we tried it bent the 14 inch I-beam. Its a home made job(not by me) mounted on the back of a 1942 Farmall H and runs off the pto in the back. Have never run across a log it wouldnt split.

thats impressive, one guy i work with has friends at a truck shop, ima see if he can get me two pieces of 10 inch truck frame for my next one. just weld em back to back. an ive got some old cutting edge, and a rear moldboard scraper to make the wedge out of. good hard steel. i just like buildin that kinna stuff. more of a hobby than anything

·
Premium Member
7,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
HAHA Im glad you said I beam,.... reminded me that I have to take my quad down by the rxr tracks...... I came across about 4 old sections of scrap track that are probably 20' long so I just have to cut'm up a bit and theres some good steel for me lol!

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Heres MY office until spring[attachment=1889:100_0623.jpg]

·
Premium Member
7,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
**** they didnt even opt for the cab enclosure for ya! Why dont you loose that machine there and ship it to the following adress..... Ill even pay shipping :)..... Well its time to go paint my bathroom *FUNFUN*! Talk to you all later!

41 - 60 of 6191 Posts