Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Rubicon with possible rear end issues. Are there any rear ends from other Honda ATVs (like maybe the Foreman) that can be used as a full bolt-in (housing,diff, axles, etc.) replacement?

This may actually be drive shaft/u-joint issues, I haven't checked yet. But, I'm wanting to educate myself and I've not been able to find rear end swap information when searching the site.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 2007 Rubicon with possible rear end issues. Are there any rear ends from other Honda ATVs (like maybe the Foreman) that can be used as a full bolt-in (housing,diff, axles, etc.) replacement?

This may actually be drive shaft/u-joint issues, I haven't checked yet. But, I'm wanting to educate myself and I've not been able to find rear end swap information when searching the site.
I havent done it yet but this is so info ive copy and pasted into my notes!

450 swing arm swap.

You need the 450 swingarm and driveshaft, and you either have to bend/tweak the end of the swingarm mounting point on the right side to mate up to the bracket on the 500 axle tube, or you can get a 450 Foreman right axle tube and it bolts up easily. I used the 450 right axle tube (cheap on ebay) and everything bolted right up. You will need a bracket lift of some sort on the back so the shocks will reach the lower mounting points. I already had a lift on mine so I was good in that regard.

·
Premium Member
6,240 Posts
05-11 Foreman rear ends are the same as your Rubicon. Most likely your splines on your ring gear or axle are stripped. Jack the rear end up and see what it does when you put it in gear.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Yes what jeepwm69 said. Same thing happened to my '05 Rubicon. I'm actually just swapped out my Ring Gear and about to install the rear axle after I finish sanding/cleaning the brake panel tube. My Swing Arm and left axle tube are complete. Rear diff has been installed. This is my first ATV so I too had to educate myself from scratch. Honestly a vid on YouTube by D-Ray Smith helped me get a better idea. He has a 4-5vid series on the rear diff for a TRX300 but the concept is the same. If you plan on tackling it yourself and not too familiar with the process, I recommend you watch his vids. The rest is going to be you looking up a Service Manual and it gives you a complete break down of what you need to do, steps, and torque specs.

Aside from the motor and trans, I am restoring/rebuilding mine completely due to a rusted out frame. Check out my vid if you get a chance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_8egijlR_Y

·
Premium Member
6,240 Posts
You can download the factory service manual free in PDF format here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You can download the factory service manual free in PDF format here.

Yeap! I have it saved to my phone and it comes handy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts