Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went over a hump the other day an i heard a pop sounded like it came from the rear end it stoped pulling the only thing that pulled was the front end i had to drive it home like that (pulled like a champ) worried about it i figured it was the rear axle or drive shaft so i took everything apart but everything ive took out so far ant nothin broke nore striped out i took the drive shaft out an didnt see no metal shaving on it so for the **** of it i put the drive shaft in an turned it with my hand with the atv in gear its turnable but i dont think the yoke is turning so im guessin the teeth is sctriped in the yoke, now my question is where can i buy a yoke for a reasonable price? an where can i buy the tool to take the swing arm bolt out so i can get to the yoke?

thank you

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
hows the u-joint?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the u-joint is fine, when i put the drive shaft in an turn it by hand it just rubs while im turning it guessing the yokes teeth are stripped? i could be wrong on this im not a VERY experienced mechanic but ive torn the rear end an front apart before dont have the 250$ that the shop wants to charge me to take it apart so i chose to tackle it myself but i gotta get/make the tool to take the pivot bolts on each side of the frame that holds the swing arm on out so i can get in there any idea's where to get the tools or how to make them?

·
Premium Member
6,231 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok im kinda stuck on this rear end prob ive took everything off the rear end thinkin it was my u-joint but i see no problems nor in the rear end but it was what gave out on me but nothin is broke striped or worn I noticed on the back of my frame the bar that connects both sides is broke could that have anything to do with it also when i did drive it before the break down when i went from pavement to gravel or dirt it felt like the whole rear end would like sit down as your moving (hope that made sense) should i put it all back together a see what she does last time the rear end was off the shop put swingarm bearings in it hope someone can help me figure this out =(

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok im kinda stuck on this rear end prob ive took everything off the rear end thinkin it was my u-joint but i see no problems nor in the rear end but it was what gave out on me but nothin is broke striped or worn I noticed on the back of my frame the bar that connects both sides is broke could that have anything to do with it also when i did drive it before the break down when i went from pavement to gravel or dirt it felt like the whole rear end would like sit down as your moving (hope that made sense) should i put it all back together a see what she does last time the rear end was off the shop put swingarm bearings in it hope someone can help me figure this out :(
So i put the foreman back together an still only the front will pull so i jacked it up an pulled the u-joints rubber cover back an the u-joint is turnin good so it has to be in the rear end but the thing that throws me off is that there is nothin worn broke nor striped in the rear end so does anyone have any idea what is wrong with my foreman?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
did you split the rear diff? if everything looks good axles splines, ring, pinion, u-jount and drive shaft then its in the motor but iv never herd of that happening most time its 1 of the 1st 3 problems i listed

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
did you split the rear diff? if everything looks good axles splines, ring, pinion, u-jount and drive shaft then its in the motor but iv never herd of that happening most time its 1 of the 1st 3 problems i listed
Yea i split the rear dif everything was good nothin loose nor worn but what gets me if it was in the motor i jacked the front up to keep the atv from moving an left the rear on the ground with my brother pushin down on the rear end for pressure an gave it gas the u-joint turned but the rear tires didnt, no noises came from the rear end, so if it was in the motor the u-joint should turn to freely should it wouldnt the rear tires keep it from tirnin? Like u said tho it could have somethin to do with that dif ill check it out somemore an will see but any info you guys have would be much appreciated thank you for helping

·
Registered
222 Posts
Pull the rear and post pictures of the croissant and axle spines please.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Axel splines. You'll see them worn in the centre noticeably where it engages the ring gear. You'll probably need a new axel and ring gear bit of which are cheaper from armour tec.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Agreed on axle splines. My buddy stripped his with 26 inch mudlites one day. Just has to hit the wrong way once. He also has the diff bearings go out and it let the ring gear slide away from the pinion and he lost rear wheel drive

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had that happen to me and it was the axle and the crown gear that had the splines worn down

·
Registered
1 Posts
ok my trx500 is doing the same i thought maybe the ujoint was stripped so i replaced it iv done everything but split the rear end but i took the fill plug out and turned the ring gear over saw no damage at all but when i turn it by the yoke all i hear is grinding noises so should i rebuild my rearend or try replacing the axle first

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Take it apart and inspect all parts and clean the diff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I aso think axle's
if you do them check axle seals, there known to go bad, allow water in and thus axle splines go bad
so if you have to replace an axle, best to replace the seals on both sides

·
Registered
1 Posts
i went over a hump the other day an i heard a pop sounded like it came from the rear end it stoped pulling the only thing that pulled was the front end i had to drive it home like that (pulled like a champ) worried about it i figured it was the rear axle or drive shaft so i took everything apart but everything ive took out so far ant nothin broke nore striped out i took the drive shaft out an didnt see no metal shaving on it so for the **** of it i put the drive shaft in an turned it with my hand with the atv in gear its turnable but i dont think the yoke is turning so im guessin the teeth is sctriped in the yoke, now my question is where can i buy a yoke for a reasonable price? an where can i buy the tool to take the swing arm bolt out so i can get to the yoke?

thank you
this exact thing is happening to my 1998 400 foreman... is yours make a grinding or ticking noise?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts