Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again,

Some of you might remember the previous post about my '01 Honda 450.

All the parts for my machine worked out great. I have a new problem though. I had noticed a bit of a leak on the left rear axle and purchased a new seal. Now when I took the hub assemby off, the shaft itself went off center. Basically it looks like it is coming out of the rear axle tube on an angle. I have the machine up on blocks and can easily spin the other side and watch the drive shaft itself rotate. It rotates fine and obviously isn't 'bent' so it can't be that. What could it be?

I can force the hub assemble into place, but it takes some pressure and it just doesn't make sense to me why it would be offset. I am sure it won't be good for the bearing on that side to have the sideways pressure on it.

Do you understand what I mean?

·
Registered
452 Posts
i understand what u mean but i dont understand why it would be offset. the only way it could be is if the bearings where gone on the ring gear and it has shifted the whole axle over.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You mean bearings within the diff? I suppose that is possible. I am sure the opposite side will be offset the other way.(I didn't take the brake components with the bearing off the other side.)

Is it a difficult fix? Do you think it is ok to use it for a week of hunting with the sideways pressure? The machine is new to me.

I am not afraid of fixing it, but am getting rather tight on time...

I really appreciate the help..

·
Registered
452 Posts
yeah the bearings inside the diff. if the axle isnt offset on the otherside too than the axle is messed up or somthing. i dont think it will wreck the bearing cause it has pressure on them anyway when the bike is sitting on the ground.
Melvin

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
It's possible the axle tube is tweaked but I have done a lot of them that don't line up perfect. I would suggest putting it together and ride it if everything else is tight. If it starts going through bearings bad then investigate deeper.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice guys. I really didn't want to start working on it! I am heading up moose hunting for a week in about 5 days and had enough other things to get ready.

I will see how it goes.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
the hub is what rides in the bearing on left rear side of the axle tube, since you removed the left side hub for inspection the axle is going to move around, this is nothing to worry about unless the bearing is bad and/or the axle is scared or bent. it's just the weight of the other side making it flop up, down or to the side.

Once you put the hub/tire back on leave it sitting on stands/blocks and pick up and down on the hub/tire, there should be no movement where the hub meets the axle tube. the bearing and seal is easy to replace on the left rear side if needed and is the most common one to go out. But that still doesn't tell you where the oil is coming from.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How did it turn out? I just replaced my axle and see the same. I wondered if my new axle was bent, would have to start all over to pull it and didnt want to bother. Just gonna ride it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts