Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My wheeler started leaking oil while I was plowing snow. It appears to be at the rear crankcase cover. Gasket is cheap, but it'll be a pain to replace. It looks like I have to disconnect the swing arm or pull the motor. I can't see another way to make it happen. Any other options? If not, would the swing arm be the way to go? Any tips would be appreciated! Is there a reason this started leaking that I can prevent in the future? Want to make sure there is nothing I can do differently from now on.

Not much experience with anything other than general maintenance on this machine. Up side to a Honda is they run forever... down side is you don't end up working on them much so its almost always new experiences when something does finally go wrong.

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Having done both jobs this fall (motor out and swing arm off) I'd go after the swing arm first, personally. Simpler job and no heaving the motor in and out of the frame. Downside is you'll need the locknut tool, but the upside is that you'll have it in the future. I found the best price on it here, and they shipped fast:

Swing arm bearings are a "might as well while you're in there" deal. I'd also probably do the rear final shaft seal.

-

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was able to get the swing arm removed and the rear crankcase cover split apart. However, I can only get the cover to slide off about 1/2” and then it doesn’t want to go anymore. Nothing on the outside seems to be holding it up. I haven’t removed the recoil or flywheel cover at all. Do I need to take some of that off? Is there something else I need to remove? I don’t want to take anything apart that I don’t have to so I just kind of paused at this point. Anyone have a service manual for these? Thank you!

·
Registered
52 Posts
You will have to remove your recoil
once you remove the recoil you’ll see a 17 mm bolt going through the recoil cup
I recommend using an impact to remove that and then pull the recoil cup out
once you do that you should be able to remove the rear cover although you might have to remove the left side lower engine mounting bolt and lift the engine up slightly with a prybar it takes a little fiddling but it’ll come out I just did mine a couple days ago to replace my neutral reverse switch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone have a service manual for these? Looking for torque specs and procedures to reinstall everything. Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello again... ran into some trouble and am hoping someone can help out. As I am going to reinstall the rear crankcase cover I can't seem to get it to seat flush with the crankcase. The gearshift spindle (part #20) is too far back. This is the shaft that comes back and connects to the secondary gearshift spindle (part # 11- the manual override to the electric shift). After some trying I realize I can completely pull the gearshift spindle (part #20) out. It has a couple of gear patterns machined into it and the end of it is a half-round with a flat spot. I am pretty sure I can find when I have the flat spot on the half-round correctly lined up inside the transmission(?). Do I just need to push the gearshift spindle (part #20) forward harder (don't want to damage so I've been going easy and haven't hit with a rubber mallet)? Is there something wrong that I need to address? Do I have to pull the front crankcase cover to realign? Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
52 Posts
yes if you pulled it out it has pulled out of clutch lifter arm and the flat goes into the electric shift gears under the shift motor
you might get lucky if all internal parts are still in place
I would try putting it back in quite a few times each time changing by the amount of one spline on the shaft
and you may get lucky
If not you will have to pull front cover and align with clutch lifter arm and then put cover on and align with shift motor gears (easier to remover gears and put pback together that way
Do a search and download manual or better yet join https://atvhonda.com/
they have free manuals and are basically the source of all good answers and information that was originally on this site

1 - 8 of 8 Posts