Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I get into my question, first a little background. I have a 05 Rancher AT. Last weekend I rejetted my carb for the higher altitude that I live in but have not adjusted the A/F mixture (yet). Before I jetted I never, ever, heard my fan come on. The day after I jetted, I was riding around a very low speeds, which I have never done before and the fan came on. My ATV (at that time) was at about 95 miles. Today I went for probably the longest ride my ATV has ever been on. It was a very mountainous terrain. Steep up hill and down hill trails. My fan ran practically the whole time and the average speed was about 10-15 mph. I also turned 100 miles on the bike while riding up the trail. The overheat light never came on but I did stop when we got to the top of the mountain and turned off the engine for about 30 minutes to let it cool. I checked my oil level and it was pretty low. As I came down the mountain, I noticed that my change oil light was on (don't know when it actually came on) and my fan ran the whole time. I tried going down the mountain at higher speeds thinking that the air would cool it down. It didn't. When I got back to the truck, I checked the oil again and the oil level was just "barely" registering on the oil "dip stick". Was my ATV running hot because of the lack of oil I had? Did I hurt my engine for running it with low oil? Is it okay for the fan to run for so long? Anythoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
145 Posts
A couple things your transmission uses the same oil as your engine, so if the oil is low, it runs hotter, so the fan turns on to keep it cooler.
especially if your climbing a mountain, tranmission works harder.

Which way did you jet the carb , if you lean it out then the engine runs hotter, but that may just be a coincidence or co wenky dink like some people say since the oil was low.

change the oil and filter and see how it shifts, the transmission would most likely be afftected first by insufficient or burnt up oil.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Definately double check what you have done for jetting. A to small of a jet, like said above will make you run lean, and running lean will make the motor run hot, and other bad things

·
Registered
53 Posts
my rancher did the same but after i broke it in it works now

1 - 4 of 4 Posts