Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Rancher that bogs down when the engine gets hot. It has been sputtering lately. When it gets hot it bogs down as if it's running out of fuel then cuts off. I have to let it cool before going again. When it gets hot again, same issue, it bogs down then cuts off. I resantly cleaned the gas tank and the fuel pump as well as changed the fuel filter.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
is the fuel cap vent working right?
next time it shuts off, remove the cap and listen to see if your getting vapor loc on it?

Oil level right?
rad cleaned REAL GOOD , on BOTH sides?
how is the fuel, NEW and clean? , have you tried NON ethanol fuel?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mrbb, Thanks for the info. Update....Rad is clean all the way around, fuel cap is venting properly( I took it off to make sure), oil level was a little high so I drained 1/2 qt, have clean air filter, fan is running, put 1/4 can of seafoam in tank 2 days ago. I've sense run 1/2 tank. I'm lost! I guess I can take the fuel pump apart again and start from scratch. Not sure what to do now. Help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In addition, the temp light nor the engine light come on saying there is an issue. Could there be some type of sensor that is bad? Thanks

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
normally when a motor gets too hot a OIl light will come on before shutting things down
as I guess these ranchers still have a oil tempo sensor on them
never known one to shut down prior to that light coming on, or an oil sensor going bad and causing the atv to shut down??
I would maybe check all your electrical connections, maybe when things get HOT< the wires get softer and pull on things and break a connection
check all fuses too!
have you check the motor's compression ?? I would do that as well

not sure how many miles or hours, or if this was ever sunk
but losing compression once HOT can cause issue's too?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's the frustrating part. The bike only has 56 hours and 282 miles on it. It's never been under water. It's a hunting bike so it doesn't get run hard.
I'll take the fuel pump down one more time. If that doesn't help then off to the shop it goes. Maybe they can figure it out. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for the input.

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
My 08 Rancher is doing the same. I'm looking at fuel filter (I just replaced it), fuel pump (these 420 pumps are notorious for going out/overheating and giving symptoms described) and I've also seen people say the fuel pump relay back by the ECU can go bad and not work well once everything warms up (joints in relay expand with heat, and no longer make a good connection).

I'm going to try swapping the fuel pump relay from the wife's 420 to this 08, and if that doesn't work, I'll pull the fuel pump apart and check the filter. If the filter looks good I'll probably replace the fuel pump.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Replaced fuel pump. Also cleaned entire fuel system including hoses, petcock, and fuel injector. I did not realize how gummed up a petcock could get. I had very little fuel flowing prior to cleaning it.
All good now.

Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Final diagnosis.

I don't think it had anything to do with the fuel pump other than the petcock starving it for fuel. Prior to cleaning the PC the fuel pump was not getting enough fuel to stay running. As the bike sat up the PC dripped enough fuel in to the FP to run briefly. Because the PC was clogged the FP was not receiving enough fuel to stay running so it would bog down( fuel starved). As it sat for 15 minutes the PC would drip enough fuel into the FP to start and ride for a minute until it used up the fuel. The getting hot part was just how long it took to use up the fuel in the fuel pump. To check this, simply remove the feeder hose from the PC and see if you have good steady flow. If not, start by cleaning the PC.

I hope his helps save you time and $$$$. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2017 TRX500FM1 is randomly shutting off at idle and low speeds. getting worse to include when ran hard on throttle will restart after a few minutes, sometimes longer kill switch smelled burnt and resistance not in spec. replaced. Swapped relays to check No improvement. Pump maybe? Or PGM-fi unit? Never any codes displayed!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2017 TRX500FM1 is randomly shutting off at idle and low speeds. getting worse to include when ran hard on throttle will restart after a few minutes, sometimes longer kill switch smelled burnt and resistance not in spec. replaced. Swapped relays to check No improvement. Pump maybe? Or PGM-fi unit? Never any codes displayed!
I am having the same problem with my 2016 Foreman 500 I am going to take apart my pump tomorrow to see if that is the problem. People told me that they went through 3 pumps before changing to the Rancher. Might have to brake off the fuel filter below the fuel pump to get the pump to start running properly again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts