Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that while riding my 2002 450S I sometimes have a hard time shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. I pull up on the shifter and its like it doesn't want to sync or something.... but then after 2nd it shifts fine on up through the gears.

What could be the problem?

Clark

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
All Honda's do this,especially after sitting for a while.The clutch discs stick together.I start out driving mine in first gear slowly and "pop" the clutch(hold up on the shift lever to disengage the clutch,rev the engine just slightly then release the shifter with your foot)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I notice it most is when I have the RPMs up a good bit in 1st and try to switch to 2nd. After a few times in the ride, it seems to become easier and eventually its like there was no problem. But sure thing, next time I ride its the same way again. (WHY would it be hard to shift at first but when the bike warms up it seems to smooth out the shifting from 1st to 2nd?)

Clark

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
QUOTE ("Yooperforeman":viomt0z8)
All Honda's do this,especially after sitting for a while.The clutch discs stick together.I start out driving mine in first gear slowly and "pop" the clutch(hold up on the shift lever to disengage the clutch,rev the engine just slightly then release the shifter with your foot)
he is right, all manual hondas do that, its normal. whenever it warms up it should be fine. if it still does it after it is warmed up then you proubly have to adjust your clutch.
-Aaron

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll try adjusting the clutch, if I can figure it out. When you thread the bolt in until you feel friction....how do you feel it? Is the bike tires turning or will turning the bolt get a little harder to do?

Clark

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
You must loosen the lock nut then turn the adjusting screw COUNTER-CLOCKWISE until you feel resistance,then turn it back in 1/4 turn.I like to turn it in slightly farther(1/2 or 3/4)Then hold it there while tightening the locknut.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.