Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after reading many posts and fretting about knocking my scope out I came up with this for a crossbow / gun mount for my foreman. I started out with Kolpin double mounts. Which I then mounted to a piece of 2X4. Then I used some home made 5/16 18 J-shaped bolts with wing nuts to attach it to the front luggage rack. Here are the pictures. It takes less than 5 minutes to install or remove this gun rack. For me this makes things better because then the gun rack is not in the way when I am taking corn down to my stands.

What do ya'll think?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
looks nice,
but it might not be a bad idea to add some thick rubber between 2x4 and the rack to help limit vibrations, or I would?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looks nice,
but it might not be a bad idea to add some thick rubber between 2x4 and the rack to help limit vibrations, or I would?
I would love to find some 1/4" to 1/2" thick rubber for that. I just can't think of anywhere to get some.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Do you have any old floor mates laying around? Or hit Walmart and pick up some cheap mates.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
also if you have any horse stables, maybe they might have a old stall mat laying about, there almost a inch thick of rubber
, if your also handy, you can always get a old tire and cut a slice off!
old rubber body mounts too, or maybe even shock eye spacers of rubber material!, they might eben be the better option, have a hole down the middle you ca run the bolt trhu and then have it crush some to hold in place!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Old inner tubes would work as vibration isolators. The brackets holding the gun are rubber so there souldn't be much vibration, beyond what any other type of mount would transmit to the firearm mounted on a ATV.

Not bashing you idea but here is some food for thought.
I like the vertical boot type mounts for my firearms. When mounted horizontally the barrel or stock could get bashed into a tree when on the trail and protects them from dust/water/snow etc.

Darrell

·
Registered
180 Posts
Shortened Kolpin Gun Boot .... if you're using one of these scabbards, pull it apart, and pad it generously. They aren't really usable in their present form. They can be re-vamped successfully. Mine was shortened 4 1/2" .... much handier.

Attachments

·
Registered
714 Posts
I have an old style lined kolpin gun boot and use a soft case inside of it, never had a scope move yet, but i did make a custom rubber mount.

·
Registered
180 Posts
As you can see .... the 'gun boot' is mounted forward. This works well for the type of country we hunt moose in.
Rifle is a Model 70 / .300 Winchester

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As you can see .... the 'gun boot' is mounted forward. This works well for the type of country we hunt moose in.
Rifle is a Model 70 / .300 Winchester
Thanks so much. Looks like I may need to get a hard case for the rifle. I think I will do a little testing this weekend with the crossbow. Most of our transportation is on fairly well maintained logging roads so maybe it will be ok with this current mount.

·
Registered
714 Posts
i do not have any pictures with it on, i have my chainsaw mount on it now. I use the same mount for gun boot and chainsaw, I use a piece of rubber horse mat to stop vibration.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Go to your local hardware store and buy you a can of Flex Seal spray. Spray a light coating on the bottom of the board and allow to dry for 24 hrs. Then do it again. No more rattle.

·
Registered
314 Posts
looks nice,

Some of that pipe insulation at Home Depot might work well too. You could wrap it right around the metal tubing. The pool noodles are thicker and tougher.

I'm going to have to mount a turrent on mine with an AR to keep up with you guys, then run down to the border, just for show..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts