Honda Foreman Forums banner

Question for the Honda Mechanics and Experts - Angle Sensor

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  montana76 
#1 ·
I am a new member here an have noticed in just a short time that there seems to be a lot of issues and/or failures with the Angle Sensors. I am very aware that on forums like this you always here more about problems than successes, but there seems to be a lot of issues with Angle sensors.

I would be very curious to know if there is a reason why this seems to happen so often.

Are these sensors not robust enough for the application?

Are owners doing something that cause these failures?

Is there anything we can do to not cause these issues or to delay such failures?

Thanks in advance for your input.

David

#2 ·
the main reason they are going bad is because of water, they are low on the motor and are submerged in water alot. the best way you can try to fix this problem is try to seal it up the best you can. when i had my rubicon they would go bad all the time, i tried everything and i could not keep them working.
-Aaron

#3 ·
Hummm ,not many replies to a really good question, but I've been through quite alot of water . not deep but over the running boards, 1st thing i did after taking the bike to it's new home , was die electric grease everything that had a connection or a wire going to it!!, Also after every wash , i'm steady on the Krown rust protection , in all weep holes in the frame and all Ground connections, maybe overkill , but just my process !! .. HOPE to hear from some Honda Techs ....

#5 ·
i do preasure wash my foreman after every ride (if im not to spent )lol
and i put dielectric greese in every conection atleast every 6 months (to keep the inside of the electrical conection dry )

#6 ·
^so are you pulling all the plastics off every 6 months or do you target particular sensors (angle)?

This is a really good question and I often wonder myself. When i first got my foreman, the gear shift indicator started blinking 3 times my second ride out. That lead me to this sight and here ive been since. I found out there were alot of problems but no answers.

I have have kept the 'bad sensor' on it and noticed that the problem occurs when going 30+mph. It has happened alot less since i put dielectric grease on it but has happened. I just turn it off, restart it, and its fine.

I feel that the sensor may not always be bad, but it occasionally trips the system into thinking it is. One thing is for sure, it is a poorly designed piece and one of the foremans biggest problems.

#8 ·
yup i pull the plastics alot more then every 6 months (seems like every friking 2 weeks ) lol im getting ready to pull the front plastics of to test some sensors from a parts bike and to install a warn 424
but what everyone doesnt seem to remember is on this forum you only hear about the BAD THINGS THAT HAPPEN TO HONDAS AND NEVER ABOUT THE GOOD !!!!!! like fuk them angle sensors i put 3 of them in in 5 years never my 450 is 13 years old and i never replaced a angle sensor !!!! i wish the next 10 people that have problems with there angle sensor would send them to me (old ones) id bet that 9 out of 10 sensors are still good and are just dirty!!!!!!

#7 ·
i had the same problem, it's the water. i bought a new angle sensor, dieletric grease and some silicone, went thru the same pond the last angle sensor gave out in and was working just fine.

#10 ·
Ive never replaced a angle sensor in my 2006 rubicon and i ride through deep swamps all the time... I bought the machine out of the crate and the dealer dielectric greased all connections when they put it together.

#11 ·
My Rubicon is sitting at the dealer awaiting warranty service due a 5 flash code. I was about 9miles in the middle of no where when it went all to ****. I have 265 miles on it and its never been in a water over the lug nuts and never been in mud. Cant say that Im real happy about it all. :rant

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.