Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, it sure has been a while since i visited. i hope everyone in the honda foreman community is doing well and all is good. ill try to stop by more often.
in the past year you guys have been awesome at helping me and others with situations, so i stopped by to ask yall about this setup.

I just recently purchased an overhead mounted stereo system for my RzR, and if you look under the driver seat where the battery is located there is another hole the exact same size as thehole the battery is sitting in. im sure this is to run two batteries. well what if i just jumped another battery straight off the main battery pos to pos and neg to neg, and ran my stereo system off of the second battery. because someone told me that it takes a while for battery levels to equalize, even when they are wired together. basically what im geting at, is if i happen to run the battery down that the stereo is hooked to, the other battery should have plenty of charge to crank the machine, and as i ride it will recharge/equalize the second battery??

hope i explained this best i can, lol..

thanks for any and all responses.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Running the batteries parallel as you suggested (+to+/-to-) isn't the best method in my opinion. It would work as two tanks of h2o plumbed together and bring both batteries to dead at the same time leaving you with a non starting Rzr.
An isolator really is the way to go in a dual battery setup. Run your accessories to the second battery and leave the main for your starting battery. There's a number of isolators out there that are popular with atv's and Warn even makes a spendy dual battery kit. I just went with a dual battery/isolator in my new 6x6 and research took me to the Aopec Smart isolator for just under a hundred bucks. Its a slick setup and very easy install. It charges your primary till its topped to 13.4 volts then jumps to your secondary.....if the primary drops to 12.7 it jumps back to it so on and so forth. Its completely sealed with an internal led that comes on when your primary is topped off and install is simply + to one lug on isolator,other lug on isolator goes to + on secondary battery and ground from isolator is a simple frame ground....all that's left is to parallel the 2 batteries negatives.
You could park your rig,turn on the tunes and drain the accessory battery dead and still start your machine and be on your way as well as hook your trickle charger to one battery and let the charger and isolator maintain both batteries when not being used.
The way you described will also lead to the batteries feeding off of each other and ultimately having weak batteries. Surepower 1314 is another highly used isolator but my opinion is the Aopec is better. Its been tested to 30 feet under water and 10,000 cycles and keeps on ticking.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Pic of the Odessey 925L secondary battery,Aopec isolator and wiring in between I just put onmy Big Boss 6x6.

·
Registered
485 Posts
one of the guys i work with has a rhino and instead of running a dual battery set up he just upped his battery size to a small automotive battery and it seems to be doing good so far just a suggestion

·
Registered
354 Posts
Isolator is preferred but not required. I run dual batteries to run my winches for longer and never have an issue. Also it helps to know your machine and know how long you can drain juice with the engine not running and still leave enough battery power to crank the engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts