Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
having problems shifting my 05 Foreman 500 ES....I can be driving along and all of a sudden my gear indicator starts flashing and I can't shift...and have to shift with the shifter under the seat ...does anyone have any suggestions it flashes 3 times and i ride the wheeler in water and mud every weekend it also has a shifter bar under the seat for shifting it when the electric stops working would it be ok if i made a shifter for it and used it all the time and did not fix or use the electric shift and is thare a lift out thare bigger than 2" for a foreman thanks fir your help

·
Premium Member
13,155 Posts
:welcome

Code 3 is for the angle sensor system. Check the connector at the angle sensor but it's probably the sensor it's self that is bad. It is located on the front lower side of the motor next to the shift motor.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Angle sensor. Replace it, Lube the elctrical connection with silcon dielectric grease and keep it out of the water. Water and electroncs dont mix.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yep, angle sensor. Real easy fix, just costs about $50. Two alan screws and a plug hold it on.
Search here or google for "angle sensor honda foreman" and you'll find plenty of how to's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hay thank yall for the help and whare can i find it for $50 dowm hear in texas its $70 to $80 for it and is thare way to make it water tight b/c like i said we play in deep mudd and deeppppp water and can i make foot shifter for it the wheeler has the shifter under the seat for when the es stop working i was thinking about making a foot shifter for it so i dont have to worry about the es anymore and it a hard to shift and drink a beer and how can i get a bigger than 2" lift

·
Registered
112 Posts
My sensor was $56 from my dealership. Ask yours for a discount and they might just give it to you. Or check online.
Use dielectric grease on the connections and it'll help keep water out.
No you can't convert a ES to foot shift. The stud sticking out is for emergencies only. From what I've read, the guts of the clutch and ES motor are different than on a true foot shift.

·
Premium Member
13,155 Posts
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ho...p;A=203&B=9

$42 and change from our site sponsor. Dielectric grease the connector and make sure the o-ring is in good condition. Can't help on the lift, anything over 2in though will require different a-arms and a swing arm extension.

·
Registered
11 Posts
QUOTE (biggreenhanda @ Nov 18 2009, 05:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=138719
having problems shifting my 05 Foreman 500 ES....I can be driving along and all of a sudden my gear indicator starts flashing and I can't shift...and have to shift with the shifter under the seat ...does anyone have any suggestions it flashes 3 times and i ride the wheeler in water and mud every weekend it also has a shifter bar under the seat for shifting it when the electric stops working would it be ok if i made a shifter for it and used it all the time and did not fix or use the electric shift and is thare a lift out thare bigger than 2" for a foreman thanks fir your help

YEP -Angle sensor - best way to access it is to winch the front up high enough to pull skid plate off and it's right in front of you. Easy job. Don't forget the dielectric grease.

·
Registered
1 Posts
3 or 5 flashes at gear selector
I just thought I would post my findings and solution to the numerous posts I've found all over the www regarding Honda ES models and shifting problems.

I have a 2003 Honda Foreman 450 ES. Last week I ran through some high water, parked rig, next day no shift! Just a lot of flashing of the gear readout. I troubleshot the number of flashes and it traced back to the ECU and shift motor.

After checking the net and finding no real answer to the situation, I read that the problem may be a 'shift angle sensor' or 'bank angle sensor'. And then I stumbled onto this tried it (I'm no mechanic btw.). Also, I could shift with manual shift wrench. No way to operate an ES imho.
"Back into the garage, pulled apart the shift motor, gave it a cleaning and it's shifting like gangbusters, no problems.

What I have found is that the carbon build up on the 'brushes' and the 'communicator' limits sufficient current to be passed to the motor, in turn limiting it's effectiveness to properly shift gears. My fix is to take some fine grit (600-1000) sandpaper, wrap it around the 'communicator' which is part of the armature, and turn, thus cleaning off the black carbon build up. Once cleaned the communicator will appear as a bright copper color. This will result in good electrical contact between the brushes and the communicator/armature. I then take the same paper and run a couple passes over the contact surface of the brushes. You could probably use a solvent to clean the brushes. Be careful the brushes are delicate.

Putting the motor back together takes some dexterity. Place the armature in the brush housing first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (You can do this only wo the housing over the coil armature. Otherwise you'll go crazy trying to get it all back!!!!)
You'll have to use a small screw driver to push the brushes aside while pushing the armature back in. (Make very sure the coil contacts are lined up on Cooper contacts. Take your time with this step!!!!). Get that armature ALL the way in. Then put the cylindrical housing over the armature. I think the rest you should be able to figure out.

Hopes this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have removed the control motor and cleaned it with the sandpaper like you stated. There were two springs that fell out when i pulled mine apart. I am not sure where the springs go in order to reassemble. Could you please help?

·
Premium Member
13,155 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
My sensor was $56 from my dealership. Ask yours for a discount and they might just give it to you. Or check online.
Use dielectric grease on the connections and it'll help keep water out.
No you can't convert a ES to foot shift. The stud sticking out is for emergencies only. From what I've read, the guts of the clutch and ES motor are different than on a true foot shift.
I am having the same problem. Only mine. I cannot move the manual shifter. Any thoughts on of the angle sensor would not allow me to manually shift

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay yall. Please help me out here. I have a 500 honda Rubicon, its electric shift and automatic. I'm having some issues with it not wanting to shift, after I exceed a certain speed then it will stop shifting and throw a code. I can stop and turn it off then turn it back on and it will run fine for a minute then back to the same thing. Also... Only in reverse though it wants to start acting like it's starting to miss and sputter, only does it in reverse no other gears. Can someone please give me ideas on what to do or try and what it could be?
I've read about many different things that it could be but where do I start?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts