Honda Foreman Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
OK...thanks. I'll give it a shot.

Can I do all this without removing the centrifugal clutch? Also, will I need any special clutch tools?

·
Registered
742 Posts
You will have to remove the centrifugal clutch to get the clutch discs out of the change clutch. There's a special tool to hold the clutches while loosening the nuts, but if you have an air impact wrench, you might not need it. If you have an impact wrench, you should be able to hold the clutches with your hand and loosen with the impact wrench. Be sure to wear gloves.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I do have an impact gun and some gloves...I'll give it a go. Unfortunately, I gotta break for dinner with the neighbors:angry: Hopefully I'll get back to it tonight, if not tomorrow.

Helmut, again bud, thanks a million. I sincerely appreciate the time and effort you're putting in to help me.

·
Registered
742 Posts
You could try removing the 4 bolts that hold the springs on first, before removing the centrifugal clutch. You might have to remove some of the bolts and then turn the clutch to get to the others. I don't know if you can get the 4 bolts, springs, and lifter plate off without removing the centrifugal clutch or not, but you could try. If you can take them off and put them back on and see if the clutch discs are tight. If they are you won't have to remove the centrifugal clutch. If they're still not tight, you will have to remove the centrifugal clutch to get the discs out.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Will do, thanks again. Maybe I'll get lucky. Also, just to make sure I'm clear, the atv is in Neutral. Even with it in Neutral, the clutch plates/discs should be tight/engaged...right?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Will do, thanks again. Maybe I'll get lucky. Also, just to make sure I'm clear, the atv is in Neutral. Even with it in Neutral, the clutch plates/discs should be tight/engaged...right?
Yes, with the crankcase cover off, the clutch discs should be tight/engaged. The crankcase cover has to be on and the lifter cam, ball retainer, and adjusting plate has to be in place before the clutch can disengage. Those are the parts that disengages the clutch.

Neutral is accomplished by disengagement of gears inside the transmission.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Also, when tightening the 4 bolts that hold the lifter plate and springs, don't overtighten them as they will break easily. They torque at 9 ft-lbs.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I don't have any clutch issues. But Helmut, you are the shizzit! (my daughter says that's a good thing LOL) You just don't find that many folks with that kind of knowledge willing to take the time to share that information on a forum. Thanks. And when ninedriver gets his ATV up and running, he'll probably be shipping a 12-pack to your doorstep. LOL

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
HOMERUN!!:happy I was able to pull the the change clutch bolts, lifter plate and springs without having to remove the centrifugal clutch. I could then grab on the pressure plate 'threaded columns' that come through the center clutch plate and basically wiggle it while pulling forward. Sure enough, the pressure plate with the clutch discs were kind of hung up and after some wiggling, they all came forward nice and tight. You're (Helmut) assessment was once again right on!

Since you didn't take the clutch apart, I don't what would have caused this. Maybe you turned the adjusting screw too far and it pushed the center of the clutch in too far and somehow one of the discs or plates got hung. Just a guess, but that's all I can figure.
A quick recap, this all stated with my clutch adjusting screw/bolt being extremely difficult to turn and my atv shifting kind of hard. I figured I'd just turn in completely in one direction and then the other to try and work it loose. Unfortunately, as Helmut suspected, I turned it too far and pushed so hard on the lifter plate that is pushed the pressure plate back too far and it got hung up. When my atv wouldn't move/pull, I tried adjusting the clutch screw more and broke one of the tangs. I pulled the front case cover to replace the adjusting screw and buttoned it back up. Still wouldn't move:angry: That's what brought me to this tread and the above solution. So....Now I have the clutch working properly and a new adjusting screw/bolt turning nice and smooth. My atv shifts AWESOME!:lol: All thanks to the wonder folks on this forum with quick responses, and excellent detail.

Thanks again to all....Especially Helmut!

-Steve

·
Registered
742 Posts
That's great, glad you got it fixed!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
clutch problems

I have a 2004 Recon. While riding it I heard rattling an bike wouldn't move anymore. It still shifted but would not move in any gear. I took the front cover off yesterday. There were 2 triangle bearings in there and one of them was mauled up. I guess I need to look into it more but does anyone know what the problem might be? Centrifugal clutch?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts