Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on my neighbors polaris it hasnt been run in two years.
So i changed the plug changer the oil fuel filter and chain lube and battery. So we go to fire it up and just turns over. So i got some carb cleaner and sparyed it in the carb firied right up. But would only run on the carb cleaner. So i took the bowl off the carb sprayed that out to try and clean some of the insides and still it seems like its getting no gas. I made sure the fuel filter was clear so its not that. What should i do to the carb? Let it soak in something or take all the jets out? Let me know so i can get this thing runnnig.

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
I think he should trade it in for a Honda .

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well he got it from his father or grand father after he past away.
SO i dont think he will trade it in he should get a new one because it is a 96

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
Is it a 2-stroke & chain driven? Those are considered ancient. Those things are actually pretty darned fast if they are runnin' right.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup it is both of those well hopefully i get it running today.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Don't know much about 2-strokes but i would gues the carb needs a good cleaning to make sure all the passages are clear.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i cleaned all the jets and most of the passages but i guess i need to soak it in something. got any ideas?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I've got a gallon pail of carb cleaner. I can bring you next time I see you. But I think it was on 10-15 buck at autozone.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i got it running but seems that it need a good ride cause after you let it sit for a while it wont start takes a lot. Then found out the carb would just keep pooring gas out of the over flow tube. I guess the floats were sticknig, but now it seems fine even though my hole house smells like gas.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well now i am chargeing the battery because it is dead and the thing wont run again.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok got the thing running again and now it seems to leak gas out of where you pull start it. Anyone ever heard of that then when you hang the pull start out and have it running it wants to spray out of there. Let me know what ya think thanks alot

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
That is very odd. Is the carb drain open?? Look for that. There is no reason gas should be the far back. Unless there is a leak draining into the recoil.

I think you should put in the front yard and dump a few ciggarette ashes on it.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Robb said somehting like that he said grab a match and the owner was next to me when robb said it over the phone lol. well i took the plate or pull start off and now alot of stuff has drained out and now seems to be fine but we will see tomorrow. I am sure ill run into another problem because it is a polaris

·
Registered
33 Posts
Was this problem ever figured out?

I own a Polaris snowmobile (only because Honda doesn't make one), but the 2-stroke engines should be real similar. Its real common after sitting for awhile with fuel in the bowl for the neoprene tip on the needle valve to disolve, especially if the gasoline has ethenol added. If the fuel shut-off valve is left open, the bad seat will actually allow fuel to seep through and completely fill up the crankcase. I've seen it so bad that it has actually locked the engine up hydraulically. I bet this is what is happening.

Its also real common for the carb jets to develop a nasty slime on them after sitting with the fuel in them for extended periods. This leans everything out and can be real bad if you don't clean them before running the engine, its even worse if it happens to be cold outside at the time.

I've seen many guys burn up their engines this way. The guy will start up the machine and take it for the first short test ride of the season. He hammers down and then thinks to himself "man this thing really hauls balls! I don't remember it having THIS much power last year!" and then BRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, she dies and locks up.

It sounds to me like you need to pull the carb off, clean everything including the jets, and replace the needle valve alltogether.

With 2-stroke engines it is extremely important to prep them properly for extended storage.

Fog the engine with fogging oil. Follow instructions on the can.

Close the fuel shut-off valve.

Drain the carb bowl(s) completely.

Squirt in approx. 1/2 ounce 2-stroke oil into each spark plug hole with the piston at the bottom.

Either drain the gas tank totally, or fill it full and add stabilizer.

Plug all vent lines, air intakes, and exhaust. I use duck tape for the intake and exhaust, small screws to plug the vent lines. Don't miss any extra holes in the air box. I also stuff a copper pot scrubber into the exhaust pipe and air intake before it is taped shut to keep mice and other rodents out, should they chew through the duck tape. All of this plugging helps keep the moisture from humidity in the air from entering the engine. Bearing and seal corrosion is bad.

Grease any grease fittings on the suspension to push any water or moisture out.

It takes me a good 6 hours one day each spring to put my snowmobile away for the summer, and about half that time to get it ready again in the late fall. When you bring it back from the dead, be sure to chuck the old plugs, the fogging oil probably fouled them out.

Its also a good idea to mix a little oil with the gas for that first ride, until you can verify that the oil level in the injection oil tank is dropping.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I had a 2000 Explorer 400 that was a 2 srtoke.The 2 strokes only need fuel,spark and compression and that's how they run.If you have a new plug and the carb is clean and fuel is flowing.I would take off the carb and remove the intake tube to engine and take out the power reed cage and check the reeds.The reeds act as valves on a 4 stroke,they act on amount of throttle and vibrations to open and close to deliver the right amont of fuel.If you ever sink a 2 stroke in water and it hydo locks and you try to start it,watr doesn't compress and you blow apart the reeds.It poss will run but won't idle or accell.I had nothing but problem's with that bike,it hauled butty(60mph stock),fast pwerband.It doesn't like stp and go mud trail riding,always loaded up and fouled plugs on every ride.Off the subject again,try draining the gas and adding the 2 stroke oil that is on the front rack area,elec. oil injected to the gas also for the gas ratio.Hopefully I could help you out,I'm assuming it is a 2 stroke,most xplorer's were.Later guy's!!!!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea it is 2 stroke i had the thing runnnig and it ran for like 2 weeks now the guy said it sopped running now so gotta llook at it again.

·
Registered
275 Posts
When they run,they run great.They like to foul out plugs alot,especially in slow,tight mud trails.The engine needs to be opened up alot,not in the type mud riding like we do,they load up alot.Poss try a hotter plug range if that is what you find.Good luck......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts