Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Long time reader for time writer... First off, congrats on a great site: love the info and the great pics. Secondly, I'd like to ask you to settle a little argument I am having with my dad. As you know a lot of '05 bikes have been having problems with the paint delaminating from the luggage racks... Therefore upon purchasing the new bike we took off the racks, made some minor adjustments (welding additional bars)and sandblasted them to bare metal. NOW the big question is what should we paint them with ? I say LINE-X the whole things and my Dad says we should paint them with special baked on epoxy paint. Please give us your advice... We are also going to paint the front bash plate from aluminium product and the rear bumper.

I heard so many good things about LINE-X but I'm afraid that it might be to thick for some applications... Please help,

Thanks a bunch,

Crime Dog.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Welcome
If it were me, no question, bring them somewhere to get powder coated. That stuff is tough as nails, and looks great. And you can get just about any finish and color imaginable. Look up powder coating in the yellow pages.
Let us know how it goes, would love to see what you end up with and the finished product!

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
I know this is a little differant from what you were askin', but I went to good ol' Walmart & bought a can of truck bed spray in bedliner & did my wifes back rack because it started to rust little. It turned out very nice. It doesn't scratch up with cooler use, so I don't know how well it will hold up if you was to put other things on it. It will save you a lot of money. I know the ways you described above will probably look a little better, but like I said before, it turned out very nice & didn't cost an arm & leg to do it.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I would try the bed coating in the aerosol can like Railroader said, first since the cheapest. I guess you have acces to a media blaster, so is you do not like it after a month or two you can take it off and powder coat it. In the long runI think you'll end up at the powder-coater. It will hold up better than the bedliner and it looks better IMO.

·
Registered
83 Posts
since their off! I would spend the money and have them powder coated.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Has anyone got there racks painted or replaced under warraty?? It seems to me taking the racks off because they might peel or painting them yourself because they are rusting seems like a waste of the warranty dollars that were included in the price of the bike. The paint comming off is a manufacturs defect and covered under warranty is it not ??

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I have to agree with you ClassA. Although lately, I have not noticed any rusty water coming out of mine, but I did have the paint peel up real good in one area, but I had a strap there to hold a bag down. But that paint instead of wearing down to the metal just cracked and flaked off. Kind of disappointing, my old 450 never did that.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I have the same problem on my back rack where my cooler sits. Never had the problem on my rancher and it is the same cooler

·
Registered
174 Posts
Paint problems

As a Honda tech i inquired with Honda Canada , and they said that there aware of the issue with the paint comming off the rack(s) and that the rack(s) would be replaced with new one(s)and not repainted. This is covered under the 6 month warranty,also for us Canadian riders it is only a limited number of bikes in certain VIN ranges that are affected within the Tie rod end recall. My bike is not affected for the recall but the back rack underneath is peeling, go figure.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Dropped the bike off at the dealer today , they took a look at the rear rack were it was peeling and will order a new one Monday. I'll pick it up next weekend.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Picked up the bike Sat . with a brand new rear rack bolted on. Was washed and detailed when i picked it up to and the owner came out to make sure all was OK . A+++ for service here

1 - 13 of 13 Posts