Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got down to removeing the rear axles and driveshaft after I thought I broke the u-joint on the trails. Well, the shafts have no missing teeth or splines and the joint is good.

Now the big issue. If I put the bike in gear, I can turn the output shaft with my hand freely. Obviously something behind that in the tranny isn't making the connection. How badly am I screwed guys? What could I have broke? I can't find any diagrams on how to remove the actual swing arm. I took the caps off the ends and I dont seem to understand how this thing comes off.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I found the problem. Turns out I snapped the output shaft clean in half. Go fugure. From what I can tell now, I have to remove the back plate of the tranny the get the bearings off infront of the output shaft so I can remove it. This is going to be fun!

·
Registered
77 Posts
i did the same thing what were u doing when it broke

·
Registered
17 Posts
mine also broke clean.was a pain to fix.be careful taking everything apart and you can re-use your gaskets with some luck.check your rear output shaft seal for damage.mine was ruined.about two hrs. ..a 17mm allen wrench will get out the swing arm nuts..best to just roll the whole rearend out of the way so you can access rear cases easily. take your time putting it back together so you have no leaking gaskets....also the shaft part number has been changed to a much beefier shaft.....good luck!! i fixed mine for $65 honda quoted $600

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dang, I was hoping it was a u-joint but I guess that would be too easy, lol. I wont have time to work on it until later this week unfortunatley. I'm going to go buy all new seals just to be safe. I dont want water in my oil.

"Will22".....I was at Grant and right before we left we were burning off our tires on this log. My bike, for some reason, get rediculas wheel hop and it hops off the log after a few spins and hit the ground. I was wound out in second gear and when it hit the ground it landed between my ruts and the log. Instant traction and then SNAP! That really sucked. Still had a fun day out there though, lol.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I might cool it on dumping the clutch in second from now on as well, lol.

I got to removing most of the bolts for the rear tranny case. The ones on top look like they reguire the airbox being removed in order to be reached. What a PITA. I might trade this in as soon as I'm done for a 4x4 one. If I break it again I'd rather be doing something sweet like boggin', lol.....

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright, I've got all the bolts out of the rear tranny case. How the **** does this thing come off? I cant even hammer it off.

·
Registered
394 Posts
from what i heard you can take the pull start cover off and the inside components of the pull start will not start shotting everywhere, i think there is a bolt or something that holds it all together inside the cover, so you should be good with taking the cover off

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anybody happen to live near Vero Beach, Fl? lol, I can get the nut for the pull start off the remove the cases and evey impact gun I've used didn't have enought ballz to get the nut off. It was stripping the socket befor the nut would loosen.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
QUOTE ("Unstuckable":y0bv9ta4)
Anybody happen to live near Vero Beach, Fl? lol, I can get the nut for the pull start off the remove the cases and evey impact gun I've used didn't have enought ballz to get the nut off. It was stripping the socket befor the nut would loosen.

I don't know what you're doing but are they reverse threads?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My old dirtbike wasn't reverse threads. I am trying to get the nut off in the center of the pull start but I don't have an impact gun to remove it. I'm trying to aviod buying one for a one time use job.

Does anyone know if it is infact reverse thread?

·
Registered
394 Posts
do you have a manual? if not i just bought one and got it in a few days ago, if u tell me what exactly ur trying to do i will look and see in the book what it calls for to do it

·
Registered
394 Posts
<a href="http://www.hondaforeman.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2630" target="_blank">http://www.hondaforeman.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2630</a>

check that link out, it is also in the how to section for the recoil pull start sealing back up topic...if u look at the second and third picture i think the bolt that guy is saying has to be taken out is in the middle of that other piece...dont make me lie for u but i think that is what he is saying, use a breaker bar or a pipe on the end of ur wrench for extra leverage, if u are scared u will break the bolt off then spray some PB blaster on it before u go to take it off just for extra measures

i will still look in my manual when i get home to see what it says to do when i get a chance...but im in the middle of tearing apart the front of my motor and getting it back together finally...so today ima test it and see how she runs and shifts then put it all back together so might be late tonite or tomorrow before i get back to ya

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
See the bolt head in the middle of the pull start here.....
. That is what I need to get off. I can turn it with a regular ratchet but it will also turn over the motor(like a pull start is supposed to do).

Here another. Look at the bolt head in the middle of the pullstart. It's barely visable. I need an impact gun and I also need ot know if it's REVERSE or REGULAR thread.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Try sticking a long screwdriver or something through the notches in the pullstart pulley and use that to hold it from turning.It should be regular thread,so you want to turn the bolt counter-clockwise.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.