Honda Foreman Forums banner

oil?

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  KAGRIFF 
#1 ·
what oil should i use if i was'nt using honda oil
?

#2 ·
I'm using Amsoil 0W40 ATV oil.I use it year round.I ride my atv alot in the winter and here in Michigan it can get below 0 degrees.the Amsoil is a full synthetic oil and really helps in cold starting.I buy it at my Napa auto parts store.

#4 ·
I was using Honda 5w30 in winter and honda 10w40 in summer, but I got
pull to try AmsOil 0w40, I have done my oil change recently, and plow, and ride trails with it, I do not like it at all!!!

Seems like it is too loose, or thin, it takes time for the gears to change and the sounds coming out of the trans and engine do not sounds really good!!

I think it is because the viscosity is too much!

I will tell you that when starting the engine, it is alot better than Honda oil tough.

I will change mine back to Honda 5W30 tomorrow!!

Looks like the clutch is slippering with AmsOil 0w40.

My 2 cents.

Ducky

#5 ·
i heard...

I heard that you can go to walmart and buy any motorcycle oil that they have and it will work just as good or better than the honda oil that is way over priced.

#6 ·
Shell Rotella in the blue jug. 5w-40. I have in in my Rincon and its great. It doesn't have any "energy Conserving" properties which is what is recommended by Honda. This is noted in the bottom section of the round oil seal on the back of every bottle of oil. Some say "energy conserving" and some don't. Oil that says "Energy Conserving" has friction modifiers which will cause your auto clutch to slip.

#9 ·
you can buy rotella at wal-mart, we use it all our tractors, and farm vehicles, good stuff, also the heavier weight rotella is good for flushing out water

#11 ·
Tell me if I'm wrong but my understanding of Oil number ex. 5w30, 0w40. This is not exactly but close, first number represents what the oil will flow or go thru the engine at colder tempatures. in other words the smaller the number the faster it will flow as it gets colder. The second number represents what the oil can or will protect the componets that the oil is used for. So 0 will flow like water at lower temp vs 5 or 10. And 40 is better protection vs. 30.

Please correct me in any way.

If you can run full synthetic oil and do not have it leaking I would us it because it has the overall protection that any oil. Engines that have run conventinal oils over time may help seal some oil leaks depending on the detergant agents in the oil. But when converting to synthetic some of the componets of the old oil may be broken down and since synthetic oil has smaller molicules an oil leak may occur.

Again if I'm wrong please correct me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.