Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought i blew the tranny on my rubi but thanks to Honda Mechanic i found the problem. He told to check the oil pressure and i had none so i pulled the front crankcase cover off and the chain that drives the oil pump some how poped. Does anyone know how that could possibly happen?? Is there supposed to be a tensioner on there??
Thanks Honda Mechanic!
The good news is that it still runs and shifts great now that i put it back on but im afraid that it will happen again now. I dont think it did any damage.

·
Registered
56 Posts
How many hours/miles is on yours, after reading posts in differant forums I'm starting to worry that I might have promblems with mine. I'm starting to wish I had bought a Foreman. Have you had any other problems?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Had it happen to my 04 rubicon. Took it to the dealer to have it checked out. They said the only thing they could think of to cause it to come off was that the crank was out of round or something of the sort. So they replaced the crank, pistons, rings...etc...pretty much reubuilt the bottom end and replaced the oil pump chain. Still not sure why it done it, but no problems yet, but then again its only had about 10-15 miles sicne then.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its got about 250 miles and 75 hours which i didnt think was that much its only about 7 months old. I think my warranty if void because i blew the motor from suckin in water so honda wouldnt cover that in warranty so i rebuilt it myself. I think that im going to buy a new chain i hoping that maybe the old one was just strected or something

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I think you should talk with Honda Mech, I'm sure he can give you some good advice. Are you sure your motor blew because of water or was it due to lack of oil ...............

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
The chain that runs the oil pump is not very big and it has no guide or tensioner ,so when it starts to stretch it doesn't take long before it's quite loose ..

Here's a couple of pictures of an oil pump chain off a Rubicon which is at the shop now for a transmission ...

As far as no warranty on your 2006 bike .. Your dealer could have covered it under warranty ..

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
The chain in the pictures has 1570km on it .. The bike had 15 lb. at idle and 55 lb. at 5000 rpm , it's getting a new hydro transmission , oil pump & oil pump chain ..

The chain wasn't really, really bad , when installed it would push back & forth about 3/8" ...

Here is a picture of the chain (I took it with my camera phone) you can see the little slack in the chain .. I don't know why Honda didn't have a nylon track type guide for it to run in ..

If I had a Rubicon I'd change it every 2-3000 miles .. They are easy to change it's just a matter of pulling the centrifugal clutch ..

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I'm soooo glad I bought a foreman 500 now!!

G

·
Oil Pump or just chain

My 01 rubicon has 6319 miles and one day it just stopped and would not go, the shifter would all funtion properly, I did check for oil pressure at the tranny and there is none. Do you think it's the oil pump or just the chain?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.