Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Rubicon that the oil pump chain has come off. I have gotten to the chain and am trying to replace the old one with a new one. I can't get the oil pump drive gear off. Is there something special that has to happen? It is just a 10mm bolt but all it does is spin also there is what seems to be a lot of play in the gear assembly itself. i.e. it moves in and out a little and has side to side slack is this normal? Help needed please.

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
The play is normal. The bolt has loctite on it so it will come out hard, I usually just use short burst with the impact gun. If you can get the chain to walk back onto it you should be able to get it with a ratchet, you might have to hold tension on the chain while loosing the bolt though. Just get the chain started back onto the sprocket and pull the rope starter slowly and it should go back on.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply TooDeep. I was worried that if I tried walking it back on the drive gear I would break a tooth off of the gear. I tried the short burst with an impact wrench and all it did was spin. Almost did a stupid thing when I held the gear and then tried to loosen the nut the gear has to spin also (dumb).

·
Registered
469 Posts
Hey toodeep I'm going to tear into my cylinder again and I want to replace the gasket. I can order the single gasket but the parts place I deal with has a Gasket Sheet A (component parts) and a Gasket Sheet B (Component Parts) do these "sheets" have all the gaskets I should need to redo the top end or am I better off just buying the ones I want individually..

Powers Motor Sports | Honda OEM Parts | Honda Power Equipment OEM Parts | Kawasaki OEM Parts | Sea-Doo OEM Parts | Ski-Doo OEM Parts | Yamaha OEM Parts | Yamaha Outboard OEM Parts

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
inneed, the gear on the oil pump should not turn when removing the bolt (it will of course but it doesn't have to). You can lock a pair of vise grips to it possibly.

Shutit, gasket sheet A is all the gaskets for the top end, B is for the lower end.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am confused now. Doesn't the gear fit into slots on the back of the gear bolt? It sure looks like it does in the schematic.

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
I would like to see the schematic on it

On what??? This is a 10 year old thread about a simple chain. The shaft from the oil pump is D shaped and so is the gear. You line it up and install it. There is nothing really to see.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts