Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, new to forum, having problem with oil temp light staying on a while, then will go off for a bit then come back on, I checked oil level, fuse, both ok, read post about simular problem, but dont no if is came on and off, sent him a pm have not heard anything from him yet. I have 01 450s

·
Registered
275 Posts
As long there is oil in the engine.I would make sure the fan is working,if not coming on the fan motor poss could be bad or poss fuse or oil temp switch could have gone bad.If the fan is coming on you poss could have a clogged up oil cooler,try to clean out with degreaser and water hose with some pressure(mud gets caught between cooling fins on cooler).Check to make sure oil filter is in correct direction and not clogged or falling apart.And there could be a chance the temp switch is bad and causing light to come on and not really even overheating.Hope this could help ya,let me know what you find!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
QUOTE ("JF450ES":b9o9sbyf)
try to clean out with degreaser and water hose with some pressure(mud gets caught between cooling fins on cooler)
Water?? I would try brake cleaner and. deisel fuel. Those things are hard enough to get water out of when its done on accident why would do it on purpose? I understand the pressue but I would try solvents first and water as a last resort.

No offense JF450, its just not what I would do. It just seems like it would be too hard to get the water back out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
outside

I think JF450ES meant, was to hose off the outside of the cooler fins to clean any debris blocking air flow.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
you prob have a bad connection to the sensor. I heard of this prob a couple of times and its got to be the sensor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE ("Rubicon3303":37pwegeh)
you prob have a bad connection to the sensor. I heard of this prob a couple of times and its got to be the sensor.
where is the sensor located? where would be the best place to get one?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I meant to clean the external part of the oil cooler to clean debris.The oil temp light is usually a one wire sensor that works off of resistance and ground.To test if the warning light is working all you have to do is to ground it out to the engine block with the key on and it should light up when grounded.That will tell you if the light and wiring is good.I have seen alot on Hondas its usually blockage of air flow through the oil cooler or the actual temp sender for the light....

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Just go to hondapartsworld.com and look at the microfiche on your bike you will find out everything you need to know.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
the Temp/oil sensor is located on the rear bottom of the engine by the reverse lever. You will have to remove the skid plate and u should be able to see it from the bottom of the bike. The last one I bought was about $37.00 from the Honda Dealer. To check your fan, take the blue wire that is connected to the temp. sensor and ground it out to the frame with the key on. The fan should come on. If not u might have problems with the fan control located under the front fender by the CDI box. Check for corrosion and/or water in the connections.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Good info,Alot of you probably already know this but dielectric grease works great at all connections if used in alot of water/mud conditions.I undid every connection on my 450 and used it from day one.Blocks out water real well.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
yea when i take all my plastics again i am gonna do that to allmy conections.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts