Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey everyone. new here so need some advise. i just changed my oil and oil filter. when i was putting the oil cover bolts back in, one of the bolts broke and now its leaking oil. what would you recommend on how to fix it. dont really have alot of tools. any help will be great. thanks

also does anyone know with size the swingarm bolt is? it looks like its a allen wrench but a big one and obviosouly i dont have the right size.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey everyone. new here so need some advise. i just changed my oil and oil filter. when i was putting the oil cover bolts back in, one of the bolts broke and now its leaking oil. what would you recommend on how to fix it. dont really have alot of tools. any help will be great. thanks

also does anyone know with size the swingarm bolt is? it looks like its a allen wrench but a big one and obviosouly i dont have the right size.
Are you meaning the oil filter cover?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,231 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

The swingarm bolt is a 17mm. Go to Autozone and get the set of 17mm sockets. Cheap and lifetime warranty. The set isn't much more than just buying the one 17mm so get the set.

As for the bolt breaking off, I'm guessing there isn't any of the bolt protruding that you can grab with some vice grips to unscrew it?

If not, you'll need to VERY carefully punch the center of the bolt (you will have to buy a good center punch suitable for metal and punch the bolt DEAD CENTER. It is important that you take your time and hit the center of the bolt.

Once you've done that, get a small left handed drill bit and a drill that will run in reverse (counterclockwise) and drill the center of the bolt. When the bit bites the metal it will almost always screw what's left of the bolt out.

Just take your time. If you don't get the drill bit centered it won't put even force unscrewing it and it won't come out as easily.

You could also take the bike to a machine shop and have them get it out. They'll have the tools to do it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you I will try a 17mm. My neighbor told me he would help me with the broken bolt as he has the tools and has done it before. Thanks for the advise

·
Registered
155 Posts
Why don’t you try using a torque wrench? Those are very light torque bolts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts