Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i started smoking the last trip out. real bad! took it to the honda dealer, and "no warranty" clause came into effect. 220 miles, on it. reason: they feel its been in deep water. and......it has. they recommended not over 10 inches of water. i thought rack deep was fair play. haha
i do good mantinence, change oil often, diffs too.
i took it down. cylinder walls look good. planning on re-ringing it and valve seals while i'm here. any more suggestions from you guys.
i am considering boring larger. just for the power. any thoughts? enough gain to bother with?
i'm going to snorkel it while its down also. are ya'll being able to keep it contained with-in the body? only visible at the skorkel?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
a guy that rides with us took his brand new foreman in the water and drowned it out..we cleaned all the water out and got it to fire back up....but it started to smoke bad..it ran for about 25 minutes and locked up..shop said the cold water hitting the hot engine caused something to crack inside..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the specs mechanic. i took it fairly easy for the first 100 miles. i thought i'd find some wear in the cylinder, but it looks good. not much build-up on the piston. i think it may have worn the oil ring. but it check the clearances in the cylinder. what's your thoughts on the high comp. piston and gap-less rings at highlifter?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Did you get any mud in the motor?if so check the oil pump pick up ,because the drain plug treads on the casing stick up higher than the bottom of the sump its hard to clean the mud out ,I changed oil 9 times and flushed with diesel 3 times and still pluged my oil pickup ,it smoked after about 15 min. and then took out the con rod bearing

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dealer said that the filter was clogged up with mud. they saved it to show to me. i looked at it again today. i don't see it. i played and played with it......i don't see the mud in/on the filter. anyhow, where is the oil pump pickup at. how can i get to it? while i have it down i want to go thru whatever is needed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
if your oil filter looks like it is caved in than it was probably plugged ,if you have the head off take a straw and push it to the bottom and pull it up ,if you see any sign of dirt ,the only way to teel forsure is to split the cases ,

·
Registered
24 Posts
REGARDING YOUR QUESTION ABOUT THE HIGH LIFTER PISTON AND GAPLESS RINGS.I HAVE THE 1MM LARGER BORE PISTON IN MY 450 FOREMAN.I PURCHASED IT DIRECTLY FROM HIGH LIFTER.HAD THE CYLINDER BORED AND HONED TO FIT THE PISTON AT A REPUTABLE BIKE SHOP.THE POWER INCREASE IS VERY NOTICABLE.I ALSO PORTED THE CYLINDER HEAD WHILE IT WAS OFF.I RUN 27" MUDLITES AND HAVE THE POWER TO ROOST AT WILL.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.