Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to post a problem i recently encountered with my 97 Foreman 400.

After a short ride in the trails the machine developed tendency to stall while going slowly into a driveway of slowing down for an intersection. After it would stall it would be nearly imposible to start without a jump, choking the carb and pulling the sparkplug several times. After it was running again it would run strong.

After some diagnosis I determined that there was no spark while the starter was engaged, or when the rope was pulled.

I printed out the electrical diagram from Foreman manual I downloaded from this site. Checked for 12v from the kill switch , and, ground to the change switch, through the 2wire connector at the IGN mod. I checked continuity of yellow wire from Volt/Reg to IGN/mod. I Checked for 300ohm to ground through pick-up coil through 4wire IGN/mod connector. I Checked continuity of wires to IGN/coil from 4wire IGN/Mod connector. All checked good.

I unplugged Alternator Stator plug at righ side frame rail and checked stator coils for continuity and that they were not shorted to ground. All Good. Also visually checked all wiring for damage and cuts. no damage.

I decided to replace the IGN/MOD. that DID NOT FIX it. I replaced the Voltage Regulator and FIXED THE PROBLEM.

That’s my story, good luck, don’t panic, follow the wire diagram. Get familiar with your machine before it breaks down. Prior to this I had no idea what all of those wires did. I bought a module I didn’t need, but didn’t mind just for the added reliability. I did not understand that a CDI unit needs an power source from one of the alternator stator coils to intensify the primary coil energy.

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
The regulator has been a common problem on these for a no fire situation. You wouldn't have to search the forum long to find many that have been in the same situation. Glad you found the issue and are going again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wanted to post a problem i recently encountered with my 97 Foreman 400.

After a short ride in the trails the machine developed tendency to stall while going slowly into a driveway of slowing down for an intersection. After it would stall it would be nearly imposible to start without a jump, choking the carb and pulling the sparkplug several times. After it was running again it would run strong.

After some diagnosis I determined that there was no spark while the starter was engaged, or when the rope was pulled.

I printed out the electrical diagram from Foreman manual I downloaded from this site. Checked for 12v from the kill switch , and, ground to the change switch, through the 2wire connector at the IGN mod. I checked continuity of yellow wire from Volt/Reg to IGN/mod. I Checked for 300ohm to ground through pick-up coil through 4wire IGN/mod connector. I Checked continuity of wires to IGN/coil from 4wire IGN/Mod connector. All checked good.

I unplugged Alternator Stator plug at righ side frame rail and checked stator coils for continuity and that they were not shorted to ground. All Good. Also visually checked all wiring for damage and cuts. no damage.

I decided to replace the IGN/MOD. that DID NOT FIX it. I replaced the Voltage Regulator and FIXED THE PROBLEM.

That’s my story, good luck, don’t panic, follow the wire diagram. Get familiar with your machine before it breaks down. Prior to this I had no idea what all of those wires did. I bought a module I didn’t need, but didn’t mind just for the added reliability. I did not understand that a CDI unit needs an power source from one of the alternator stator coils to intensify the primary coil energy.
I've swapped motors an harness can't get it to crank one was an estimated an the other was an s

1 - 4 of 4 Posts