Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Trying to resolve this no spark issue before this 97 Foreman 400 gets turned into a boat anchor. I'd hate to do that because it used to be a great runner! I've followed the Honda factory manual to troubleshoot the no spark condition and read most, if not all, online posts.

Background: I recently pulled it from storage to prep for hunting season, new battery, fresh gas, choke, hit the starter and it fired right up. Rode it into my truck for the trip to the home garage. I noticed it was backfiring more than ever. Discovered the airbox intake was plugged by a mud dobber's nest, cleaned that out and then it became progressively harder to start. I pulled the spark plug, ground it to the head and cranked the starter and had spark for several seconds then the spark turned intermittent then stopped completely and has not returned. I've tested wiring per the Honda manual and all resistance/continuity are to spec. Kill switch bypassed, replaced the reg/rec and CDI with units from Rocky Mountain ATV, (they are adamant these non-OEM parts are correct - I confirmed their reg/rec tests good), new spark plug and plug wire, still no spark. Swapped back to original Honda CDI and reg/rec, no spark. I'd ruled out everything but the stator and pulse generator only because, although they test good, I had not put my eyes on them... until now. I'll try to add pics here. (Anyone know if the surfaces can or should be cleaned and hit w/dielectric grease... like old points systems?)

Experienced input is appreciated.

PS: I've taken it to local shops that declined the work already having 8 week backlog and would just throw more new parts at it anyway. I'm done with that.
Automotive tire Rim Bicycle part Machine Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Camera accessory Gas

Watch Tire Automotive tire Eyewear Material property

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looks like this machine draws little interest anymore. For posterity, I did clean/sand the stator surfaces, reinstalled that, reconnected all wires and a fully charged battery... oil light came on, fan works via manual switch bypass, however, now no neutral light so it won't turn over. Traced the neutral wire to no avail. Throwing in the towel.

Motor turns over, has good compression, good tires, recovered seat, good airbox w/filter, carb recently cleaned, Clymer manual, OEM Honda DCI, coil, and reg/rec along with several aftermarket CDIs, coils, and reg/rec's. Hoping to get a few hundred bucks for everything. It's in the Brazos Valley B/CS area of Texas. If any interest, reply here.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Dont give up!
Come on over to atvhonda.com and you will get GOOD help and QUICK replies
These forums here kind of blow for help lately
All the Honda experts moved over there and made their own forum when these went downhill
Its free and the help is quick and on point
Hope to see you over there!
Tell them AKATV sent you lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
Trying to resolve this no spark issue before this 97 Foreman 400 gets turned into a boat anchor. I'd hate to do that because it used to be a great runner! I've followed the Honda factory manual to troubleshoot the no spark condition and read most, if not all, online posts.

Background: I recently pulled it from storage to prep for hunting season, new battery, fresh gas, choke, hit the starter and it fired right up. Rode it into my truck for the trip to the home garage. I noticed it was backfiring more than ever. Discovered the airbox intake was plugged by a mud dobber's nest, cleaned that out and then it became progressively harder to start. I pulled the spark plug, ground it to the head and cranked the starter and had spark for several seconds then the spark turned intermittent then stopped completely and has not returned. I've tested wiring per the Honda manual and all resistance/continuity are to spec. Kill switch bypassed, replaced the reg/rec and CDI with units from Rocky Mountain ATV, (they are adamant these non-OEM parts are correct - I confirmed their reg/rec tests good), new spark plug and plug wire, still no spark. Swapped back to original Honda CDI and reg/rec, no spark. I'd ruled out everything but the stator and pulse generator only because, although they test good, I had not put my eyes on them... until now. I'll try to add pics here. (Anyone know if the surfaces can or should be cleaned and hit w/dielectric grease... like old points systems?)

PS: I've taken it to local shops that declined the work already having 8 week backlog and would just throw more new parts at it anyway. I'm done with that. View attachment 49897
View attachment 49896
View attachment 49895
I have a 99 450s foreman new cdi new coil new plug new recitfier and still no spark so ohmed coil by passed kill switch no spark please need help

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 99 450s foreman new cdi new coil new plug new recitfier and still no spark so ohmed coil by passed kill switch no spark please need help
Hello,

PS: I've taken it to local shops that declined the work already having 8 week backlog and would just throw more new parts at it anyway. I'm done with that. View attachment 49897
View attachment 49896
View attachment 49895
I have been chasing no spaark on an 2002 500 rubicon. Found that the throttle position sensor was the issue. I got spark but can’t find help with proper install. The instructions in manual are missing something or it’s me. But the fact that it causes no spark is mind boggle for me and still have a machine not running. I may have damaged the ECU when F-ing with it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts