Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, this is my first ever ATV..... let's play a game. I will let you know what ATV I have and without me giving you any symptoms, you guess what's wrong with it. lol

2004 Honda Foreman Rubicon, 305 hours, 1300 miles.

And Go!

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
It won't pull.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far, very good guesses.

So some hints.... it does not smoke, starts right up fine.

Oh... it pulls all right! Or are you talking about the pull start? Haven't tried.

Keep guessing :)

I'm an 01-04 Rubicon, what am I known for? haha

·
Administrator
13,111 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you bought a basket case transmission issue Rubicon for your first 4 wheeler, I hope you got it cheap.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think Toodeep may be onto something.

Quote from the guy I bought it from “ took this on a trade from a guy who owed me money, I can’t figure out how to shift it out of first ...I never planned on keeping it so maybe you can figure it out”

Me being a former automotive maintenance tech took it for a spin, saw it drove without any apparent issues other than I also couldn’t figure out how to shift it.it was a good price, low miles, great shape atv... couldn’t pass it up.

So here I am, I’ve been reading the forum for two weeks now, no worries... I have no questions but I do promise to archive everything once I resolve it, just in case somebody else needs it down the road.

Cheers

·
Administrator
13,111 Posts
Try to initialize the transmission if you haven't. Listen if the control motor is smooth or rough sounding.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A couple weeks back I found that it was in motor lock. Once I freed up the reduction gear everything tested out fine. I get error code 11 but every component of that subsystem checks out except the ecu, which I can’t test.

I see through reading here that there appears to be a short and long version of the initialization.....just how important are the extra steps (driving fwd 5 feet etc)... will the shortened version still do it?

I erased all the error codes and took it for a spin earlier, so far it hasn’t thrown the code again. ... but still in limp mode.

It’s probably something simple that I’m overlooking. Or I’m pushing the buttons too fast/slow.

Hey, at least I only need this thing to haul firewood and stones around my property with.... don’t need more than one gear for that anyway. :nerd:

·
Administrator
13,111 Posts
Short version works fine. The procedure is done fairly fast so sometimes it takes a couple times to get it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Just ran through it about 20 times...double checked all fuses and battery is at 12.9 before start.

Motor has no moment to it at all. I unplugged it and connected each of the harness side pins to my multimeter and only 6.9 mV go to that connector once the key is turned, and only briefly.....sorta like a sensor voltage check. Running through the initiation shows no change in voltage. Motor works fine jumping it, even with only one amp.
Harness voltage, ground, and continuity checks outlined in the service manual are all good for the shift motor control system.

Pulled the shift motor off and ran the reduction gear through several degrees of turn while attempting initiation to see if that would work. Nope

So I’m pretty much at the point where I start throwing parts at it. In the back of my mind I feel it’s the ECM(cdi) but that is also one of the more expensive items that I would hate to buy and it not be right.

In my experience, throwing parts at a problems never worked the first round.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ok, I’m back for an update and final resolution. (New cdi fixed the issue)

First, if you have this issue or error code 11, download the service manual... it helps imensely.

Here is the one for 01-04 Rubicon.
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1hogF-FnVh_SfWhGWxWKsJ124PUQvtrcv&export=download

The first thing I noticed with mine was that after pulling off the shift control motor, the reduction gear was completely locked clockwise. Using a screw driver to pry with reasonable force did not work and I did not want to break it so after pulling off the shift position sensor, I was able to wiggle the shaft under it while also lightly prying on the gear to get it free.

Using the service manual as a guide, the wiring harness checked out and also the motor and shift sensor were within factory spec for resistance.

Something I noticed was that when attempting to initialize, I got almost no power to the shift motor connector, which told me either the computer detected no motor was connected (and sent no power) or the computer just wasn’t sending the power because it was toast.

I went ahead and bought a new shift sensor and motor from amazon, they were the cheap ones... $12 for the sensor and $46 for the motor. They both tested out the same as the original ones on the bike (within a few ohms) and also did not fix the problem. [more on these parts later]

After some discussion with some members here on the forum I decided not to buy a used CDI but instead purchased a new one on EBay. Cost was $207 which was a little unnerving because my local shop wanted $343 cash and carry.

CDI came in, pulled main fuse, installed CDI, installed main fuse, initialized and for the first time I can hear it shifting and no more blinking shift indicator. Problem solved. Bike drives great. Also, take note, the easiest way to remove the cdi is to drop the rear cargo box.

To make sure there was not multiple problems I reinstalled the original shift motor and sensor and they also work. I’m going to keep my new parts as backup but could also likely return them to amazon... this is half the reason I used amazon and the cheapest option. Since these items are far cheaper than OEM they likely have questionable build quality and may not last very long... but, they can get you back on the road.

Cheers

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WD1F84F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077M15SWB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 - 13 of 13 Posts