Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything i can use instead of a Honda gear puller? Or does anyone know where i can get one fairly cheap? How hard is this to do and are the instructions in good detail, thinking of getting the kit highlifter offers for a 450 foreman, any info on this would help tremendously

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
You can leave the clutch installed to install the new springs, its just a major pain in the butt. Truegrit and I, well mostly him, did mine on Saturday, its a real pain, but seems worth it.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
When I did my clutch kit I used a "rental" 3-jaw puller to get it off. Since then I have found it easier like Robb said to just stand the bike up and leave the clutch on. Just make sure everything in front of it is clean because all that trash is going to fall inside the front of your motor. (right Robb).

After doing 2 bikes w/ ES clutch kits then Robb's S, The S is easier since the shift motor is not there and you do not have to move the oil coller fan and fight so much to get the cover in and out.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
It does help the tire get moving in the mud. And it will allow you to keep them turning a little longer. But it is not a cure all to get "Big Bore" type power. For $60-70 it is a good investment, if you put it in yourself. I am not sure what a shop would charge for installation. (3hrs Labor?)

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
do you think I should put one in my Rubicon? Want more on bottom with Claws, seems to bog down a little on low end.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
It isnt really going to help with the bogging. Mine bogs as well with the 29.5s. What it will help though, is when you come to a stop in the mud, and try to get moving again. It allows the drivetrain to become engaged higher by a few hundred more RPMs to help get the tires moving.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I want to be able to let the motor build up a little before engaging. Sounds like this is exactly what it does. I guess my question is will it be worth it?

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I think its worth the money. As long as you dont have to pay someone a small fortune to install it.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
this is one of the best mods for the money. Standing the bike up on the rear rack makes the job easy and the clutch kit can be installed in the bike without removing the cent. clutch. Just make sure the bike is clean as said above and stuff rags under and around the clutch to prevent anything from falling in the motor. Also turn the fuel off and run the bike out of fuel before standing it up. With the bike up the fuel will run inside the air box.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I thought it was great allowed the 450 to rev up alittle and pull trailers better. I am not very mechanical and I was able to do it twice in a few hours on a saturday. I just followed the two posts instructions on this site and it worked out great.

·
Registered
162 Posts
QUOTE ("Robb":36dy0j5w)
It isnt really going to help with the bogging. Mine bogs as well with the 29.5s. What it will help though, is when you come to a stop in the mud, and try to get moving again. It allows the drivetrain to become engaged higher by a few hundred more RPMs to help get the tires moving.
gear reduction takes care of all the bog

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I would try to get a puller to remove the centrifugal clutch ...To put 1 of these springs on (without disassembly) you have to stretch it farther than it travels when the clutch is in use .. I'm no expert on springs but I would guess that over-stretching it doesn't do it any good ..

·
Registered
188 Posts
You can get the puller from www.denniskirk.com like $50-$60. I don't remember forshure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts