Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to buy my first set of aftermarket tires soon and was wondering if anybody has any complaints about the zillas. I am thinking about the mudlite XTR but it seems like everybody is having trouble with sidewall punctures. I ride 50% mud/50% trails. I am also considering the outlaw mst, 589, executioners, mudbugs, and mudbug radials. There are a lot of steep, rocky hills around here and the mud is usually knee to waist deep and thick. I want a tire that can perform decent on both terrains. I would probably get 27" zillas since they are so light but go with 26" with any other tire. I don't care about a rough ride but I don't want a pure mud tire. Any opinions will be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
That's going to be a tough bill to fill...finding a tire that's good for rocky hill climbing trails...and also good in knee to waist deep thick mud.

The Maxxis Bighorn or ITP Terra Cross would fit your trail riding needs perfectly...but would fall short on the mud riding.

The Zilla may be a good compromise.It will do both well...but neither great.
Same goes for the MST and ITP XTR.

My Mud Lites do well in all different terrains,and I've been pretty happy with them...but I hesitate recommending them to anyone...since that usually results in a serious bashing from just about everyone.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Vampires are another great tire to consider. they climb great and do very well in the mud.

·
Registered
52 Posts
But get the Vampires in any sand...and they will dig you to China.

Also...you'll fling sand/dirt/rocks up onto anyone riding behind you.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sounds like to me that the mst's would fit you best i heard some good things bout em do good in mud and smooth riding.

·
Registered
50 Posts
went with swamp lites...everybody said they are not aggresive enough but ride steep hills and sandy creek bottoms and some gumbo and love them....not for ANY hard surface though because they are so soft and will wear quickly on hard surfaces

·
Registered
138 Posts
I ride in the mountains with lots of rocks and thick deep mud and I love the performance that the Vampire ASX's give . They are 26" tires but they run 27" + . The huge side lugs keeps the sidewalls off the sharp rocks . They don't ride to bad on the hard pack either .

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well out of the tires you listed, the lightest one for a 27" tire would be the regular Mud Bugs. I've never had any problems with mine and I plan on going up a couple sizes cause I like em so much

1 - 11 of 11 Posts