Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm new on here and am looking at buying my first ATV! I've narrowed it down to the Grizzly and Foreman. I found a 1999 foreman 450 s for 3000. It has 3000 miles and looks to be in decent shape. The guy said it sat for 5 years in a garage and just got it running again. Its supposedly turned up and cleaned but cannot provide proof.i want to know if this a good deal and what I should look for/ ask. I have done a lot of research but wanted to ask the pros. Thanks!

·
Registered
108 Posts
$3000 for a quad that old would be way to much in my state. I paid $2200 for my 2001, 500 Rubicon with only 1400 miles on it. So $3000 seems quite high to me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There's a lot of variables. Five years in the garage could be a pro or a con depending depending..

I bought my 1999 Foreman 450 S in September for $2100. It also has right around 3,000 miles and was "clean enough" compared to others I looked at. In its defense the machine started and ran great and worked. However, none of the brakes worked properly, it needed four shocks, wheel bearings all around, a complete front end rebuild... I ended up completely stripping it to a bare frame and essentially restoring it. Spent a few grand real quick, but it's mechanically perfect now.

Long story short for $3,000 it would have to be really fresh. Look closely at things like ball joints and wheel bearings etc. and consider what neglected maintenance it will need.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi there, that is at the top price for that machine for sure. However that is a good though sought after machine. The breaks never worked well on them and i bought front spindles, calipers, routers off a 05 500 Forman, they fit on using same break lines and now have front disk breaks. Best thing I ever did. Also changed out the front diff. And driveshaft for one off a newer 450 now has 2 and 4wd. Also a great investment. Love the bike. My buddy had a Yamaha Kodak and it was a great bike as well however i do know lots of issues with the engine if it is a 650.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts