Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey atv techs!

Just replaced the head on my trx450es, which came refurbished new valves, springs, etc and supposedly adjusted. Motor seems to run great, except for this loud ticking. Should I be checking valve clearance first, or does this sound like something else?

Link:
Engine tick

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If anyone reads this amidst all the Chinese spam posts: I did a valve adjust and they were definitely loose but not awful. Been reading that the cam chain tensioner could be the culprit. Is this something that I need to do right away, or can it wait until I put it away for the winter. I'm using the machine almost exclusively on my property for farm use, so no hard trail riding or anything...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Really hard to tell from a video but that sounds like it could be cam chain related. Not sure how urgent it might be. Does not sound like valve tick.

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
I could guess cam chain but hard to tell from a vid. Why was the head replaced? This is the first I seen this post but I don't check on here that often after it went to ____. The other forum has none of this crap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Valve seats broke apart on old head, so I replaced it with a refurbished one, as well as a new piston. Runs like a bat outta ****, but has that clacking sound...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The machine only has about 1800 miles on it, is this premature for a cam tensioner? If it is the cam chain tensioner, how soon does that need to be done? It's spent most of it's life on a >10 acre property doing farm tasks, and that's all I'm really using it for also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts