Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought it and it has 656 miles and I think 213 hours I forgot lol. I drove 7 hours round trip for it, I got it for 2600 and 2900 out the door with taxes and such. What maintenance should I do to it? What are some good mods to do to it? I was looking into the warn 4x4-2x4 switch but it doesn't seem they make it anymore which kinda sucks. The quad is in very good condition and hopefully will last me a while.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll grab some better pics tomorrow, been a long day lol, took about 10hrs with stops and everything to get it, people are selling beat quads with 10x the mileage for the same price around where I live.

·
Registered
2003 Foreman 450s
111 Posts
That's awesome - great find. I wouldn't touch it as far as mods. There are plenty of beaters out there if you want to trick one out. I wouldn't do anything but an OEM oil / filter change, check diff oil levels and be sure the air filter isn't deteriorating. Then ride & enjoy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Welcome, looks awesome! They are an excellent machine the toughest there is. I had eventually swapped out the front diff to a newer one that had 2wd /4wd and used the factory throttle mechanism from the same machine to give me factory selector switch was rather simple to do only mod that it needed was a small amount of one of the frame brackets had to be ground for clearance then i added a gusset to the other side of that bracket for strength and add a power connection. You do also need the front drive shaft that goes with that new diff as the diff is longer and the shaft is shorter. But was a really good improvement to the machine steering is much lighter in 2wd is a much funner ride to play with.. i also bought the factory front spindles, routers,calipers and pads from a 05 ish 500 forman to give it front disk breaks all fits right on and even keeps your flex line, was definitely the second beast thing i ever did to it. Both upgrades are highly recommended and are game changers. Other than that they are an awesome machine that literally go forever. Have fun and look after her.

Sent from my SM-G998W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome, looks awesome! They are an excellent machine the toughest there is. I had eventually swapped out the front diff to a newer one that had 2wd /4wd and used the factory throttle mechanism from the same machine to give me factory selector switch was rather simple to do only mod that it needed was a small amount of one of the frame brackets had to be ground for clearance then i added a gusset to the other side of that bracket for strength and add a power connection. You do also need the front drive shaft that goes with that new diff as the diff is longer and the shaft is shorter. But was a really good improvement to the machine steering is much lighter in 2wd is a much funner ride to play with.. i also bought the factory front spindles, routers,calipers and pads from a 05 ish 500 forman to give it front disk breaks all fits right on and even keeps your flex line, was definitely the second beast thing i ever did to it. Both upgrades are highly recommended and are game changers. Other than that they are an awesome machine that literally go forever. Have fun and look after her.

Sounds awesome! I learnt that WideOpen no longer makes the front driveshaft switch out for our quads. Is there anyway you could give me a full write up of everything needed for the newer front diff 2x4-4x4 selector and etc. How much would it end up costing as well? It's something I really need as I do a decent amount of driving on tar going to backroads and trails near me. Also what all is needed for the front brake conversion? Thank you, new to quads and trying to learn all I can. I changed the oil and spark plug, going to change the diff fluids soon and take it to a shop for a valve adjustment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Also what years have the newer diff and selectable 2wd-4wd?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Only mod I done on my 2018 I purchased with only 42 miles on it. I added a 2” reciever on the back, added a 24” Cree light bar on the front rack (connected it to my top light so I didn’t have to use another switch). And went under where the reverse lever connects and used two zip ties to tie the reverse so I don’t have to use the brake and red button on the left handle bar to switch into reverse.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Not sure what year the selectable front diff started but i got mine out of a 2004 450. I picked up the front diff and the throttle leaver housing with the selector button in it . I also hade to get the 2004 drive shaft as it is shorter because the diff is longer. That was all the parts. The switch had two wires one to the diff, one to an ignition wire the diff i think had one for ground. The diff bolts right in with only mod being a small amount of one frame brace needs to be ground some as the new one is longer. Your axles fit back in nothing else changes. Was one of the best things i did. The bracket in the second picture with the 2 holes in it is the peace to be ground and that in the new diff in the picture. I picked it up from a guy that buys, stripes and sells the parts.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The aftermarket cable disconnect was pretty expensive and was bulky and harder to use than the way i went, the only thing to remember is not to use it while moving too fast or on the throttle. (On the equipped bikes they had a speed sensor so you wouldn't damage gears) i always slowed to a roll before switching in or out. Worked great shifted fast and easy, bike felt lighter more nimble and more throttle responsive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The aftermarket cable disconnect was pretty expensive and was bulky and harder to use than the way i went, the only thing to remember is not to use it while moving too fast or on the throttle. (On the equipped bikes they had a speed sensor so you wouldn't damage gears) i always slowed to a roll before switching in or out. Worked great shifted fast and easy, bike felt lighter more nimble and more throttle responsive.

**** I have to do that when I get some more money saved up as I plan on doing some trail riding the the all time 4wd is kind of annoying at times. I'll have to look around and see if I cant find the parts for cheap. I also need to get a winch, I'm currently in the process of restoring my all of my black trim using cerakote trim restore lol, stuff works wonders and its a permanent coating.

·
Registered
84 Posts
For sure i ran mine many years and only did it when i had an issue, the small clip on the front axle was week and it would pop out of the diff the first time i drove all day without an issue just didn't have 4wd the second time i figured the same however it was running off center and cracked a peace of the housing off containing one of the mounting bolts so i had to fix it so i upgraded at the same time. Just a side note, when you get the drive shaft you need the whole thing containing shaft, spring, and the collar or sleeve. When you take it apart you will see what i mean , but get all 3 peaces of the shaft. Don't get me wrong it is still an awesome machine the way it is. Can give a lifetime of fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts