Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,220 Posts
Eh, as a father, not a good idea. If she lost her balance and pegged the trottle that thing could roll over on her very easily. I've got two girls who are 10 and 12, and I don't let them ride alone. It only takes a second for something bad and permanent to happen.

Cute kid, nice Foreman, but I wouldn't put the two together just yet.

·
Premium Member
10,389 Posts
Cute kid, nice bike but get the machine for her size....

The exact reason why they have to put age requirements on a machine....

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
I can count about 100 different things that could have gone wrong there....

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
YUP I agree, why TEACH THEM TO WEAR HELMETS??
I am guessing DAD doesn't wear one??
MAN I agree throttle control is HARD on small hands and it only takes a second for something BAD to happen
I mean HECK I let my 6-7 yr old niece and nephew drive my 400 WITH ME on the back, as I KNOW they cannot reach the brakes or UNDERSTAND the possible BAD things that can happen
just too much for a KID that small to even begin to understand the consequences of what COULD happen
at this age its all fun and games, NO responsibility
THAT is where PARENTS should be the wiser!!

I am sure your NOT letting this be a every day thing and made the vid to be a funny or??
But sorry, its asking for an accident, as me and others see things here

the BEST way for a kid to learn is by starting SMALL, and ACTUALLY LEARNING< the gas, the brakes HOW to go and STOP, leaning, how to use there body to stay safe!

just letting them get on and GO cause its EASY
they learn CRAP!
and will get in over there heads real fast some day SKIPPING the basic's

·
Premium Member
6,220 Posts
One other thing to consider....you make the wrong person wrong and they find that video, in this day and age DHS could be at your house taking your kid away for endangerment.

I think it's stupid, and I think things have gotten way out of hand with the government sticking its nose into people's business, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

I'm not throwing stones. It's a miracle my friends and I survived our youth with some of the crap we did, but then again none of that was recorded and put on the interwebs. Things are such these days putting a video up like that is inviting the man into your life.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm not usually the one to say anything. Your business. But probably not a good idea especially in water with no helmet. Teach her with you behind her.

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
It looked like she had good throttle control so I'm guessing that wasn't the first time she drove it. The screwing around part at the end (throttle blips) is one of the worst things they can learn at a young age on a machine that is way to big for them to control. I'm the same way, started mine young and taught them throttle control and to respect the machine. Anything can happen at anytime (even to us adults) and our children don't have the knowledge, size or muscle to correct a machine that gets a little out of hand. Best is to keep on the seat behind her and keep teaching.

My 7 yr old rides an old 300 2x4. It's still too much machine for him but he keeps it slow and wears a helmet. I actually think he is safer on that machine than the POS Chinese 90 that he rode before that. It's still a heavy machine so I know it's not safer but he rides it with more respect. That is on flat ground around the yard in first gear (the gear he stays in, likes it slow) and usually working with it picking up branches and junk that blew in. If I took him out trail riding with me and he was on his own machine I would find a smaller machine for him to ride. One he could handle easier with his size.

·
Premium Member
6,220 Posts
It looked like she had good throttle control so I'm guessing that wasn't the first time she drove it. The screwing around part at the end (throttle blips) is one of the worst things they can learn at a young age on a machine that is way to big for them to control. I'm the same way, started mine young and taught them throttle control and to respect the machine. Anything can happen at anytime (even to us adults) and our children don't have the knowledge, size or muscle to correct a machine that gets a little out of hand. Best is to keep on the seat behind her and keep teaching.

My 7 yr old rides an old 300 2x4. It's still too much machine for him but he keeps it slow and wears a helmet. I actually think he is safer on that machine than the POS Chinese 90 that he rode before that. It's still a heavy machine so I know it's not safer but he rides it with more respect. That is on flat ground around the yard in first gear (the gear he stays in, likes it slow) and usually working with it picking up branches and junk that blew in. If I took him out trail riding with me and he was on his own machine I would find a smaller machine for him to ride. One he could handle easier with his size.
Basfnb and I were talking about that yesterday. My girls are getting older, and while they know how to drive my 500's (with me behind them) they don't have the weight or strength to control it on any type of terrain other than flat, smooth ground. A twist in the trail or an off camber situation could put 600lbs of Foreman on them real fast, and they don't have the mass or strength to control that 600lbs.

If I could find a 300 cheap I've debated getting them one to start on, but as my wife said "By the time they get to really trail ride by themselves, they'll be able to ride a 500" makes a good point.

My older daughter is a grandma, but the younger one is constantly getting the "Slow down, slow down, slow down!" and that's with me on the seat with her. No way I'm turning her loose even on a smaller bike by herself until she's physically grown to adult size.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Basfnb and I were talking about that yesterday. My girls are getting older, and while they know how to drive my 500's (with me behind them) they don't have the weight or strength to control it on any type of terrain other than flat, smooth ground. A twist in the trail or an off camber situation could put 600lbs of Foreman on them real fast, and they don't have the mass or strength to control that 600lbs.

If I could find a 300 cheap I've debated getting them one to start on, but as my wife said "By the time they get to really trail ride by themselves, they'll be able to ride a 500" makes a good point.

My older daughter is a grandma, but the younger one is constantly getting the "Slow down, slow down, slow down!" and that's with me on the seat with her. No way I'm turning her loose even on a smaller bike by herself until she's physically grown to adult size.
I am still of the opinion that even if a person knows how to ride one and control one, to ride one that you can handle..as in, if that thing falls on top of you, you can get it off... I ran into a 7-10 foot ditch on jeeps land, straight down, was going about 5mph in high grass while standing up on the rubi so I could see where I was going.. didn't matter, fell straight down.. on the way down I had to kick it away from me so that it wouldn't land on me.. if it had been a female, it would have been bad..

im going to get my wife one some day, and its going to be a 420 Honda or smaller...still looking at smaller ones.. I want one where she can handle it in a wreck..no way she can handle the Rubicon or anything of that size.

you are welcome to my 300 for as long as you need it.. the only time it gets ridden anyway is at star city or down at your place when my brother comes... I bet it hasn't been cranked in a few months..(I still need to put that other knuckle on)

that way you don't have any money invested, and can get a bigger one some day if you choose too...

and if you want to snorkel it (or not) and swim it out on your farm somewhere in one of them waterholes... have at it... :grin2:

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
That's why I prefer to ride my Ranchers. I'm of smaller build so the smaller machines "fit" me better. I feel more comfortable on them and therefore enjoy the ride more.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
That's why I prefer to ride my Ranchers. I'm of smaller build so the smaller machines "fit" me better. I feel more comfortable on them and therefore enjoy the ride more.
my brother had a 420 one time, power steering, auto, IRS, efi...it handled great, I slung that thing around like it was nothing....it was REALLY fun to ride...still kickin myself in the a$$ for not taking over those payments and keeping it..:rant

I don't have a problem handling the rubi... I will just wookie that thing around...

·
Premium Member
6,220 Posts
my brother had a 420 one time, power steering, auto, IRS, efi...it handled great, I slung that thing around like it was nothing....it was REALLY fun to ride...still kickin myself in the a$$ for not taking over those payments and keeping it..:rant

I don't have a problem handling the rubi... I will just wookie that thing around...
You SOOOO TOOOPID.

How much he sell that thing for again?

Had 4-500 miles on it, new Swamplites.....

You dummy.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
You SOOOO TOOOPID.

How much he sell that thing for again?

Had 4-500 miles on it, new Swamplites.....

You dummy.
250 miles... 200 all put on by me... dude just gave him a check to pay the loan off..basically took over payments.. I think it was about 4300... dam thing was worth every bit of 5500-6000..
:smack
yes... me TOOPID...:blowup

·
Premium Member
6,220 Posts
There was a pioneer for sale in Wynne (close to Basfnb) the other day for $5K.

Wife wants a SxS, but I figure I'll wait for a nice sunken 1000 Pioneer from some rich kid to pop up. I'm too poor to buy a new one without selling existing toys, and we all know it's not allowed to sell toys.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts