Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is most motor knocking due to the rings going bad or from the valves clattering, i have adjusted my valves multiple times and still have the knock, it is more of a knock not a clatter like a valve, would it be wise to take the top end off and see if the rings are still good or if there is any play in it at all? and if they are bad do i just get new rings and put on and see if that fixes it, and lastly if that doesnt fix it is the next step get another cylinder head and new piston to fit it with new rings and install that way, is there anyway that maybe the part that connects the piston to the rod is bad? i have my bike bored as much as it will go, is the next thing to do is put another top end together and start over?

or am i just paranormal and all bikes have that knock to them? the only time the bike seems to change any is at high rpms at high speeds (the ends of 4th and 5th gear) it will cough for a second then it gets rite back on it, only happens like 1 out of every 10 or 15 times i get way up in those gears

thanks for any feedback that i get

·
Registered
10 Posts
I AM GOING CRAZY TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT THIS NOISE IS. IT DOES NOT GET WORSE OR CAUSE ME TO LOSE ANY POWER FROM WHAT I KNOW. BUT IM ABOUT READY TO SELL THIS BIKE AS MUCH AS I LOVE IT.. BUT I CANT LIVE WITH THE NOISE IM REALLY PICKY AND IM JUST TRYIN TO FIND OUT WHAT THE NOISE IS. I TOOK IT TO THE LOCAL HONDA PLACE AND THEY TOLD ME ITS OK THATS JUST HOW THE MOTOR BROKE IN AND ITS A LOWER CRANK NOISE. I DONT LIKE THAT. BUT IM GOING TO TAKE IT TO ANOTHER SHOP AND HAVE THEM LISTEN TO IT..THANKS TIM ONE MORE THING MY MOTOR IS COMPLETELY STOCK.

·
Registered
444 Posts
If your bike has drank alot of water in it's day (like mine) then you might have very slightly bent a rod. I would first assume valves but that is a defanate ticking noise. Knocking is a bit louder and deaper. You can usually point it out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Maybe try running some good quality 15W-40 motor oil such a Shell Totella T or Chevron Delo 400 and see what happens

·
Registered
47 Posts
My foreman had a knock in the lower end of the motor as well, but it ran fine and was strong throughout all the gears. The kncok got so aggravating I pulled the motor last week and tore it completely down, thinking the crank was bad(it ran hot after the fan failed). Pulled the top end down, everything was fine. Pulled down the front cover and found the clutch basket bolt loose! There was the noise. Oh well, I went back together with new crank, crank bearings, clucthes, etc. Waiting on the 506 BBK to finish her up.

I was told by a Honda mechanic that this clutch situation has come up in alot of foremans especially the 05 models that had the clutch recall. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have Been Told that the Pecking sound that lots of people hear is due to the overhead cam. Since its on the top of the motor its what you hear most. But if its really bad then you may have bad crank bearings. But its doubtful you prolly just hear your cam.

·
Registered
589 Posts
huh I think my valves are rattling and can't hear anthing else I'm going to look in to this cam theory.

·
Registered
47 Posts
QUOTE ("kileymwalker":3119fxei)
I have Been Told that the Pecking sound that lots of people hear is due to the overhead cam. Since its on the top of the motor its what you hear most. But if its really bad then you may have bad crank bearings. But its doubtful you prolly just hear your cam.
There is no overhead cam in the 500, the cam is in the bottom of the motor, behind the clutch drum. The rubicon has a overhead cam, but not the 500.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Try taking your Valve clearance to .003mm. This was my issue.

It might also be a good idea for you guys to note how many hours / miles you have.. This fixed my problem only because the valves where sitting at .007. and I'm at 550 miles.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Jbruce,did you mean to say .003"?

·
Registered
366 Posts
If it is a loud knock more than likely you have a bent rod. I personally would tear down the top end for a closer look and def check to see if there is any marks, scaring or deep groves on the cylinder wall.

·
Registered
212 Posts
jbruce..... how does the motor run with that clearence? I think that may be my problem, just worried to go less than what the book said.

·
Registered
212 Posts
and thanks for the laugh!!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
works great,

I tried 6, 5, 4, and then 3.

They all sounded ok after I started it, but after 5-20 mins you could hear a tick or knocking noise. So I just continued until the tick went away for good.

My buddies was the same as mine. After adjusting to 3 the tick went away and after 60 miles their running great.

I would probably move to say that 6 is way to much valve clearance. Every one I know that had to adjust their clearance 6 was always to much.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I will give that a try. That is the same problem I have... adjusted to .006 and sounded good for a little bit, but once warmed up.... it was back.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I found that when the engine warms up the valve clearance increases.Mine are also at .003" to keep things quiet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.