Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of you know that I clipped my carb spring a few months back and that i never really got a chance to check it out. I did a long ride on Saturday with 2 friends and my son and here's what happened. I probably hadn't gone 2 miles when I noticed that my wheeler wasn't going as fast as I wanted it too. I would hold the throttle wide open but it would only go about half throttle, if that. So when I got on a flat spot I took the seat off and removed the cover from the carb, pulled the vacuum piston out, then tried pulling the spring out. The last time i pulled the spring out it just fell in my hands which is normal but now it was stuck, i kept pulling on it and it finally came out. I had this same problem about 3 weeks ago but thought it fixed itself. Here is what I found, when I cut the carb spring everyone I talked to about this said it didn't matter which end i put down so I put the cut side down and this is where i made my mistake. The cut end of the spring got wedged in the bottom of the piston and would not allow the throttle to open up completely. So i put the uncut side down and put it back together. I put over 60 more miles on it and it ran flawlessly. If anyone out there has done this mod or is going to do it, I highly recommend that you DO NOT PUT THE CUT SIDE OF THE SPRING DOWN INTO THE VACUUM PISTON. It took me a little while to figure it out but i did so if this tip helps one person then this was worth writing.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I noticed mine was sticking when I was in the process of changing the needle settings. As you did I just put the cut end up and it solved the problem

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks, I also put the cut end down but did bend the cut so that it would not cut into any rubber or other. Think I will rotate it anyway, Thanks. Can't say that the cut spring did anything anyway. Can't tell a difference on my Foreman 500es.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
what kind of gains you say you got from doing this, i never thought you got any decent gains by doing this.
-Aaron

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spring

He's right, thats all you get out of clipping the spring, I will be putting a new stock spring back in, it just wasn't worth it to me for the troubles i had with it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I clipped it on my 450 es today. I noticed a decent amount of throttle response. The tip for which way to put the spring in makes good sense, thanks for the tip, I woulda probably put the cut down otherwise.

My question is why did honda put such a long spring in to begin with?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.