Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its been 5 years with my 2014 TRX420 so this is the first issue i had with this quad.Since this past spring water has been mixing with the read diff fluid(stock tires/rims)Change it a few times but it keeps coming back.Check the breather(fine)and the drain plug gaskets(one was missing since last year but i just installed a new one)with no luck.Any ideas would be appreciated.....

·
Administrator
13,113 Posts
How much water riding are you doing? Any sign of leakage around the front seal?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Water up to a foot or more.Never check the front seal yet but this is the first honda i had with this issue.Maybe it has to do with the rear drive shaft design....or bad seal..

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update...i cleaned out the diff and replaced the oil but there was a mechanical scrapping noise coming from the rear end.I don,t know if its the bearings(diff,wheels?)or the rear brake.After the ride i touched the housing on the diff and rear wheels,cool to the touch.Going to keep riding but will avoid the deep water until i found out whats the cause(got a feeling the noise will get worse).

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found the cause,my bearing is completely gone on the right rear axle hub.Order new parts and also a new seal for the diff just in cause,Will tackle it next week.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the parts today and changed out by midday.Hardest part was putting the new seal in the diff(sunk in a tiny bit on one side,stupid 30mm socket).Hope it last this time(Going to grease this bearing ever year).

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This was the first bearing replaced in the quad so it seems to be one of the first to go.My oldmans 97 foreman400 had these bearing replaced twice in its life(one just last year).Really miss the older 300 and last gen 420 that just had the axle there,no tube/bearing to go bad.Good news was the Honda parts are cheaper for this quad than the foreman(bearing was under 25 bucks CDN).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts