Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone,

I Recently purchased a 2000 Honda Foreman 450 ES. When I first got the bike when I shift through gears I could only see gear one and five while two through four had Dash signs (~~~). The bike has been running totally fine shifting perfect, I started messing with the winch wireless receiver wondering If the winch work because the guy said he wasn’t sure and the remote I had was old and didn’t work that came with with bike. When I turn key in into On position Lights and dash are bright and fully functional, but when I go to press the starter I get nothing. Not to mention when I go through all gears now they all have the lines (~~~). I put my ear to the battery Area and here a light faint tic Some of the time while Other times I don’t hear anything at all. I’ve checked all my fuses the battery is good starter is good. I’m not sure if this solenoid is bad I’m going To figure out How to check it. Any and all help is appreciated

·
Registered
5 Posts
Chris those are interesting symptoms! First of all, I have very limited experience on the ES models. That ticking noise sounds like an electrical power issue. I assume the battery connections are clean and the wires are not corroded under the insulation. How old is the battery? I know the ES's can be problematic with weak batteries. 20 years of use on a solenoid is pretty long. I would replace it anyway and you may solve your problem. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good evening everyone,

I Recently purchased a 2000 Honda Foreman 450 ES. When I first got the bike when I shift through gears I could only see gear one and five while two through four had Dash signs (~~~). The bike has been running totally fine shifting perfect, I started messing with the winch wireless receiver wondering If the winch work because the guy said he wasn’t sure and the remote I had was old and didn’t work that came with with bike. When I turn key in into On position Lights and dash are bright and fully functional, but when I go to press the starter I get nothing. Not to mention when I go through all gears now they all have the lines (~~~). I put my ear to the battery Area and here a light faint tic Some of the time while Other times I don’t hear anything at all. I’ve checked all my fuses the battery is good starter is good. I’m not sure if this solenoid is bad I’m going To figure out How to check it. Any and all help is appreciated
I hate to sound simplistic, but you do know that the machine won't start unless it's in neutral, right?? There will be a green light on the display that lights up when you get to neutral if the gear display doesn't read correctly. Oh, and when you do get to neutral, cycle the key switch ON-OFF-ON-OFF and then back on again before starting it...that will reset the display to correctly read the gear it's in (if you're lucky). Otherwise it could be an angle sensor, weak battery or voltage regulator issue. There are many other threads on 450ES shift quirks on this forum if you're unlucky enough to have an ongoing issue there...Good Luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hate to sound simplistic, but you do know that the machine won't start unless it's in neutral, right?? There will be a green light on the display that lights up when you get to neutral if the gear display doesn't read correctly. Oh, and when you do get to neutral, cycle the key switch ON-OFF-ON-OFF and then back on again before starting it...that will reset the display to correctly read the gear it's in (if you're lucky). Otherwise it could be an angle sensor, weak battery or voltage regulator issue. There are many other threads on 450ES shift quirks on this forum if you're unlucky enough to have an ongoing issue there...Good Luck!
Chris those are interesting symptoms! First of all, I have very limited experience on the ES models. That ticking noise sounds like an electrical power issue. I assume the battery connections are clean and the wires are not corroded under the insulation. How old is the battery? I know the ES's can be problematic with weak batteries. 20 years of use on a solenoid is pretty long. I would replace it anyway and you may solve your problem. Good luck!
It was the starter solenoid lolol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts