Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the record, I put 27x9x12 on front, and 27x11x12 on back of my 2016 foot shift rubi..5 psi...on flat ground I could get the speedo up to 48 mph..gps said actual speed was 53 mph...they are a bit rough under 5 mph...but smooth out 5+.....handling...I thought was pretty decent...acceleration didn’t seem to have changed much....I didn’t have any snow to bog thru, but I did have lots of mud...they power thru like a boss...cleanout is really good...I did have to use 4wd cause the front wheels quit rolling because the mud was so deep and sticky...I hope to hit the sand dunes soon to see how that handles...I’m giving this tire 5 stars...I got trails to ride...and mudholes to cross....I gotta go!!

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
That is on your stock wheels?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I put 27x10x14 all the way around on mine. So far I REALLY like them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got back from Taylor Park, Colorado...took the rubi with maxxis zilla tires and went trail riding for a week...4 psi seemed to be perfect. If the tires could hate me, I’m sure they would...it was tough love, torture test all the way...I put them thru all the abuse that I could find...hard pack roads, big round boulders, wet broken shale, roots, occasionally branches and logs in the trail... I went over the obstacles in the trail, not around...ended up pulling my friends Polaris over Tincup Pass due to a cracked oil pan...I did put one slice in a lug but it was minor imo...traction was 5/5, stability 4/5, they are a soft rubber compound so they did wear a bit...(make sure the tire pressure is the same front-back...otherwise the fronts will wear down faster...wear 3/5, looks was definitely 5/5 imo...the wide spacing of the lugs proved to be nice as I could “grab” the rock and not just rely on friction for traction...The one trail was still covered in snow, traction was great...overall performance I’d say 4/5...Definitely a tire worth getting imo...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just changed out the 27” Zillas that came on my new to me 2015 rubicon irs deluxe mainly because the fronts were worn bad in the center the tears were ok yet around 85-90%. The fronts still had a lot of lug left on the sides of center. I’m assuming I was from previous owner running way to high a pressure in them since I let the air down from 14psi to 4.5 in the fronts and 4 in the back. Those pressures felt about right. I fount that they did work well, handled decent and rode good other than the wear on the fronts. I went back to mud lite xtr’s again as I have them from before on my old school ‘01 ruby and they did well and improved the ride and handling with the solid axle.
The zilla’s are under sized I found that the 26” xtr had an inch or more over the 27” zilla as the xtr’s measure close to true.
The zilla is a nicely balanced tire for the price point for sure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did find out that if the air pressure is not the same front to back, that running in 4wd on rock will wear the fronts down in just a few miles....thankfully I noticed soon enough I was able to correct it before I ruined the tires

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
I doubt its really air pressure related
front tires wear faster than rears due to steering and more wear on things due to angles the treads see
add in when in the tires will grab more when turning and add friction to things, again causing more wear
its why if you have a locker the ATV ONLY wants to go straight when locked
tires from side to side, have different tire speeds when turning, add in 4x4 and even more resistance
and you get faster wear!

air pressure MIGHT add to some things some what, as low air or added traction can cause more grip, thus more wear
but I wouldn;t call it pure air pressure, that causes excessive wear or not, unless your running them SUPER low and well, the wear will speed up as side wall weakens! and again getting you a larger footprint thus more traction, and more wear!

also, if your running TOO Much air pressure you can for sure wear centers out faster, you'll also get rougher rider quality, and less then great handling too!
atv's are designed to run on LOW air pressure tires, so filling em up to above recommended pressures you can cause handling issues!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I doubt its really air pressure related
front tires wear faster than rears due to steering and more wear on things due to angles the treads see
add in when in the tires will grab more when turning and add friction to things, again causing more wear
its why if you have a locker the ATV ONLY wants to go straight when locked
tires from side to side, have different tire speeds when turning, add in 4x4 and even more resistance
and you get faster wear!

air pressure MIGHT add to some things some what, as low air or added traction can cause more grip, thus more wear
but I wouldn;t call it pure air pressure, that causes excessive wear or not, unless your running them SUPER low and well, the wear will speed up as side wall weakens! and again getting you a larger footprint thus more traction, and more wear!

also, if your running TOO Much air pressure you can for sure wear centers out faster, you'll also get rougher rider quality, and less then great handling too!
atv's are designed to run on LOW air pressure tires, so filling em up to above recommended pressures you can cause handling issues!
I ran like 10 miles and noticed that the fronts had worn down...I corrected the air pressure, (which did change the circumference of the tires I’m sure)...and over the next several days, I put on 200+ miles of 4wd and the tires still look the same....so I figured it was incorrect air pressure because that’s all that I changed🏻

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
another thing to keep in mind with tires is, when there new there is a heat cycle cooling factor that has to happen,
as a tire heats up, cools and repeats a few times, it hardens the rubber, and then after break in like mode, things wear better too!
so could have been a combo of things here!
but running tires at a correct air pressure per machine and conditions, will get you the best war and ride/handling!
too much air is never really any good unless your hauling super heavy loads, and or looking for MAX ground clearance, other wise, all that air will just give you a bad ride/handling ride IMO

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update on the tire wear....I tried the proven “string method” to check front-end alignment. And the tire that was wearing uneven was 3/8” toe out..I realigned and now we shall see how it works...the backs have 900 miles and look great. Very minimal wear

1 - 15 of 15 Posts