Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I knew it was too good to be true. Got my bike home from the impound lot and drove like crap at low speeds.(see Wanted forum)

Pulled the plug - oily. Compression test - 60 dry and 95 wet.

Anything else to check before I redo the top end? Machine has 3250 miles now. Only 500 of them are mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
inspect oil good, look for water or dirt!
if they ruined your motor in 300 miles they had to have dome something to it, either screamed it to death or sank it

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The junkie drove it 300 miles on pavement, of which i assume was all WOT.

After he dumped my quad near Fargo he kept going west and was eventually caught after a high speed chase on a stolen motorcycle, in Idaho.

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
Well, I knew it was too good to be true. Got my bike home from the impound lot and drove like crap at low speeds.(see Wanted forum)

Pulled the plug - oily. Compression test - 60 dry and 95 wet.

Anything else to check before I redo the top end? Machine has 3250 miles now. Only 500 of them are mine.

At least you got it back. Anything else busted/trashed on it?

Did they hang the horse thief? That's what we need to go back to doing......

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
At least you got it back. Anything else busted/trashed on it?

Did they hang the horse thief? That's what we need to go back to doing......
that's right public hangings and heck, lets sell tickets to death sentences being followed thru on,
as I gather in today's twisted world , people would pay good $$$ to see someone killed live??
and why not make some money back, after all the costs to tax payers to feed cloth and lodge these folks??
prison system is over crowded and lacking funding to hold them all, so?? could be a win win
and also MIGHT MAYBE< deter some from doing some crimes, knowing what will happen, and NOT just get free lodging forever!

we need a stronger justice system, the one we HAD< has gotten softer and softer/weaker and weaker,, its sad! IMO

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Piston and cylinder look great. Never done a ring job but imagine it would be penny foolish not to replace the piston at this time?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Piston and cylinder look great. Never done a ring job but imagine it would be penny foolish not to replace the piston at this time?

Might as well while you're in there. Piston, wrist pin and bearing, circlips. I would hone the cylinder too because why not if its already all apart?

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
If you're going to have the cylinder bored, get a new piston.

If you're simply going to hone the cylinder, reuse your existing piston and put new rings on it.

If it were me, I'd have the cylinder bored with a new piston and rings. That way you know it's good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If it were mine I’d take it apart and mic the piston and cylinder. Might be at new spec, piston and bore job would be a waste of money. Might be cracked, scored or otherwise obviously need replaced.

If in doubt, I’d err on the side of replace.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mic’d the cylinder tonight and it’s within spec. Looks like I got a few more hours of scraping the cylinder gasket then I will start reassembly.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Check the ring grooves and the new ring end gaps, cross hatch the cyl walls and break in with non syn oil...

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
Mic’d the cylinder tonight and it’s within spec. Looks like I got a few more hours of scraping the cylinder gasket then I will start reassembly.

If the cylinder is within spec I'd still put new rings in and hone the cylinder.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It runs. I had to reuse the old valve cover gasket because the fiber one in the Namura kit won’t hold the pushrods up enough to put the valve cover on. I should have reused the head gasket too because the head gasket leaks coolant ever so slightly out the LH side of the engine!!!

So pissed at Namura right now. Never again.

Transmission seems fine so I guess I’ll dive back in. Grrrrrr!!!! Glad I didn’t put the plastics back on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts