Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks and Greetings from S/E Illinois. I am brand new to this forum so bear with me for being the nube. I have rode power sports for over 50 years now and still at 64 get the thrill of the throttle. I recently traded in my trusty 01 Foreman 400 for a crazy deal 20 Rubicon dlx. What an amazing machine, such a technological advancement in 19 years. I like to crawl, in the woods, out of the creek, and the AWD 400 was pretty hard to beat, low geared. In the last 10 miles on this Rubicon I have done all those paths plus about a dozen new ones, amazing machine. Thanks Honda.

So here is my question. I rarely haul the wheeler in the back of the truck but sometimes that is your only option. I have a 2500 HD 4wd shortbed and the tailgate hits me about chest high. My old aluminum folding ramps worked fine with a 1500 truck and the 400. My first attempt loading the Rubicon with my ramps in this truck determined the angle too steep. I don't like wheelies in a 5.5 box, I am 64....LOL I think that I have a couple options but I would appreciate your input;

(1) I can install a good winch and an anchor plate in the front of the truck bed and use my existing ramps.
(2) Longer ramps.

What are thoughts on loading our wheelers in these tall trucks Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I would go the longer ramp route.

but then again if you have a need/want a winch on the foreman for other use's Id due the anchor plate and then use the winch to pull the ATV up in the truck nice and steady. though what about unloading? with your short ramps does the ATV High center it self when going over the tail gate? if you have the clearance that you can also lower down with the winch that might be the best route. Get the Wireless control and then you can stand safe on the ground and winch it up/down and keep eye if the ramps are gonna kick out on you.

just my thoughts.

now thinking about it I'd due the Anchor plate and wireless winch and stay safe.

·
Registered
258 Posts
double post, but would like to see a Pic of the Rubicon if you have one.

Warn Winch would be my choice with a Rope. If your not using heavy duty the rope is alot nicer to work with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply! I actually have a new in the box Superwinch T35 and I was going to make a suitcase mount so I could interchange it between trailer(s) and truck. Realized what I had and ordered the bracket to mount it on the Rubicon. I am probably going the winch in/out route. Isn't she a beauty, the color kind of grows on ya. (At least it is not white or red!) Traded for it used with 60 miles. Has some minor scuffing down the right side like an encounter with a chicken tractor or rolled off a ramp. Works for me!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I load my 18 Rubicon deluxe in the back of my older 98 Z71 bed I think it's 6' bed but it's stepside it has a 3" body lift put on before I got it but anyway when I do have to put it in the bed I have a set of tri-fold ramps I put in 4x4 low range & crawl in & out now granted it is pretty steep but I've not had an issue with it wheeling yet just be easy & steady on the throttle

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I load my 18 Rubicon deluxe in the back of my older 98 Z71 bed I think it's 6' bed but it's stepside it has a 3" body lift put on before I got it but anyway when I do have to put it in the bed I have a set of tri-fold ramps I put in 4x4 low range & crawl in & out now granted it is pretty steep but I've not had an issue with it wheeling yet just be easy & steady on the throttle
And the tri folds may be a better solution than my separate aluminum ramps. I am sure they make them in different lengths, I haven't shopped for them, yet. I have dumped and flipped numerous machines over the years having fun and I am finding that I don't jump back up as fast as I used too. Dang fancy toys...

·
Registered
91 Posts
I prefer the tri-folds but I usually don't load it in my truck unless there's a bunch of us going & I need to haul more than one wheeler, my primary means of hauling is my 6x12 trailer it just doesn't fit two Foreman's of any model type it's just not long enough I need like a 14' or 16' trailer for that

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nice looking ruby and I like that color!
Thanks! I am more impressed every time I ride it. I really like the EPS, much more maneuverable. I am still getting used to the auto shift. It is a little slow to shift until it warms up but it is easy enough to thumb the shifter even in auto mode. Also in auto mode it will surprise you when it downshifts just when you are setting up for a power slide. Otherwise I like the gearing ranges and shift points. I guarantee that you had better have a hold of it if you put it in 4 x 4 low range and gag it in the woods. All 5 gears in about a 100' and that thing is a claw on the ground. After hitting the little red button about a million times I still fumble around with the reverse lever and down button. I think that I am going to like Rubicons!

·
Registered
90 Posts
That’s a very sharp Rubi. I will second the suggestion of using a winch to pull it up in the truck. I have watched guy’s do it that way and it looks to be the safest way. I use a trailer so have never actually done it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My truck sits up pretty high, I built two ramp planks that are 12” X 8’. They have Aluminum brackets that sit flush on the tailgate. I back the Rubicon up the planks until I can attach a come-a-long to the ATV. It is much more controlled that way. You can drive it down the planks to unload. I’ve never had a problem doing that. You can buy the aluminum end brackets and attach the planks. I threw a little sand on one side, when I varnished them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well that looks legit Macarena Man. What kind of a anchor point are you using?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had the same issue as you. I went with the RevArc HD UTV ramps. They work great and can hold a SXS if needed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Folks and Greetings from S/E Illinois. I am brand new to this forum so bear with me for being the nube. I have rode power sports for over 50 years now and still at 64 get the thrill of the throttle. I recently traded in my trusty 01 Foreman 400 for a crazy deal 20 Rubicon dlx. What an amazing machine, such a technological advancement in 19 years. I like to crawl, in the woods, out of the creek, and the AWD 400 was pretty hard to beat, low geared. In the last 10 miles on this Rubicon I have done all those paths plus about a dozen new ones, amazing machine. Thanks Honda.

So here is my question. I rarely haul the wheeler in the back of the truck but sometimes that is your only option. I have a 2500 HD 4wd shortbed and the tailgate hits me about chest high. My old aluminum folding ramps worked fine with a 1500 truck and the 400. My first attempt loading the Rubicon with my ramps in this truck determined the angle too steep. I don't like wheelies in a 5.5 box, I am 64....LOL I think that I have a couple options but I would appreciate your input;

(1) I can install a good winch and an anchor plate in the front of the truck bed and use my existing ramps.
(2) Longer ramps.

What are thoughts on loading our wheelers in these tall trucks Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got a small trailer (5 ft. X 8 ft.) with a drive in tailgate. Use the pickup to haul other needs (camping stuff). If not camping and going close I can just use the Suburu or Toyota to pull it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts