Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just about blew up my Foreman ES 2 times. It turns out, the seal at the manual shift lever kind of just came out a bit and allowed oil to leak out until the level was below the shift spindle. That meant I was almost 2 quarts low within a half hour(?). I found where the problem was after I added oil and saw where it was dripping. I pushed the seal back in and the leak stopped so I thought I was good to go - NOT. The same thing happened a second time. So now I guess I need to replace that seal but it looks like it's just a press fit. I'm not sure why it happened since I have never used the manual shift lever. I thought maybe the crankcase vent tube was blocked and developed pressure after getting hot, but that seems OK.

Question is: Should I just replace it and hope for the best or could there be some other underlying problem that I need to deal with?

Thanks for your help!!

·
Premium Member
17,868 Posts
welcome to the forum
the shifter shaft seal leaking is very common !
just pull the seal off clean it with brakeclean (and the mating surface on the motor) and add a little permatext gasket sealer to the outside edge of seal and press it back on (let it sit overnite (to dry)
but if you want to change the seal there only 5 bucks at dealership

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
welcome to the forum
the shifter shaft seal leaking is very common !
Hey, Thanks for the welcome and for the info. I haven't had any problems with my Foreman up to this point - I may be looking here more often now!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I may have the same problem.. I am losing oil when riding but I dont know from where and it is not burning it. is the shift spindle the little long bolt looking thing just under the oil dipstick? i can see a seal there. it looks like someone siliconed it at some point and i took it all off to reveal the seal. I think it might be my problem.

·
Premium Member
10,389 Posts
I'm betting thats ur problem. Y someone would silicone a moving part like that is beyond me. Lmao!!

Btw, welcome to the forum dbb

·
Premium Member
17,868 Posts
it would be where theshifter attaches on the s models
and on the es it is where the emergency shifter is used

·
Registered
92 Posts
iv never seen the emergency shifter or an s model.. but im pretty sure thats what this is.. just ripped that seal out.. i could just spin around in there and no oil came out.. so i guess i just squirted out until below that level.. thats where my oils has been going... ****.

·
Registered
92 Posts
people are so **** stupid.. who would silicone that... I was working today doing an oilchange and someone had stripped their drainplug so they put in a big coarse thread bolt in the aluminum and siliconed it.... silicon is for your shower you idiots!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah I know Rich, I have just never seen one, so I dont know where the shifter is hooked up but im pretty sure its what i just took the seal off. under the dipstick area... the shaft coming out with a hex head on it?

·
Premium Member
10,389 Posts
That'd be it. I like silicone for huffing to. :)

·
Premium Member
10,389 Posts
There a easy fix. Use some silicone on it though. Around the outter edges of the seal. Not where it will move. Where it goes into the motor. That way it stays in there better. Thats what i've always done

·
Registered
92 Posts
Now just gotta wait for the part! comeon dealership.... oh, also pray that the 15 year old kid that didn't know what an oil seal was working at the counter managed to punch in the correct numbers on his computer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
just wondering i have a chance to buy a 02 450 s but this seal feel out and the guy said it got hot and locked up but once cooled down it ran but fouls plugs now is it worth picking up for 350$

·
Premium Member
17,868 Posts
welcome to the forum !!!
for $350 i would buy it in a hart beat but .....its going to need a top end rebuild (piston , rings, and getting the cylinder bored ) minimum !!!!!!! if the motor is shot you can part that sucker out for $2000 - $3000 + on ebay ....trust me i know .....lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
sweet i might do that if it is shot is there a way to use the front drive shaft on my 04 rubicon so i can take in and out of fourwheel drive?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts