Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda excited but kinda nervous. I just put in my order for a new 22 honda rubicon with power steering, I opted for the 5 speed manual. I am coming from Polaris sportsman and hopefully I made a good choice.

Two concerns -

first - I do plow my driveway with the ATV, is the 5 speed a huge mistake? I usually just wear mud boots when I plow so the foot shifter doesn't concern me but the going in and out of reverse with the little red lever may bother me. It looks like honda changed this design from a more cumbersome red push button to a simple red lever. I think with gloves on (which I typically wear) I should be able to do this pretty easy without much frustration.

Second - Tousley in white bear lake recommended the moose plow system for this wheeler. I went with a 60" black straight blade, added rubber flap, RM5 quick mount. Warn 2500lb with synthetic. Anyone plow with this setup? I currently use the polaris glacier 2 setup and like it because I leave the plow outside and pull the ATV in the garage.

All in all I am really excited and after lots of research and observation I just was not feeling good about polaris anymore. Too many electrical issues and their new plow setup is kinda weird.

In the meantime I'm patiently waiting till April till my camo ruby comes in.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Good luck on the new Honda. Congrats

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m planning on getting a Rancher 4x4 ES sometime within the next year, mainly for plowing snow. (I don’t currently have a place to store it, otherwise I’d have one already.) Anyway, I’ve narrowed it down to the ES for a couple of reasons - 1, since I’ll be wearing clunky snow boots for plowing, I’m thinking the foot shift will probably be awkward, especially with needing to go in and out of reverse frequently, so the thumb shifters should be better suited to the task. And 2, even though the shifting is electronically controlled, I think the regular sequential tranny is going to be more robust than the DCT. I’m also seeing a few people having shifting problems with Foreman’s with DCT. That’s my thinking, anyway. The Rancher should be more than sufficient for what I have to plow - a Foreman would just be overkill. Point to all this being, I think you’re better off with with the manual trans than a DCT. I also think, from everything I’ve read, you should be very happy with the Honda over the Polaris.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I will definitely like this way more than the shitsman. Like I said, I’m not impressed with the shitsman quality lately. Everyone I know that has a 2019 and newer all have had electrical issues.
Mud boots are all I ever wear. If it’s -0f or colder I put on my ice muck boots lol. I did some more research and the moose plow system with the rapid mount got good reviews. I will add the factory Honda hand warmer kit and order their accessories wiring tie in harness so I won’t be splicing wires.

im excited now, glad I went with the Honda. On a side note. I can leave this parked outside with the key in because it comes with a security system built in, a manual transmission lol. J/k I won’t do that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Polaris sportsman, lol
Ps - did a ton of research today and totally 180 here. So I am now going with warn provantage front mount plow system. I don’t like how the moose rm5 rapid mount is attached and what it looks like in off season, super bulky and clunky looking up front.

ps if you go with the warn front mount plow you have to make sure to order the warn winch mount 100380. If you order the Honda factory winch and mount system it only works with the warn belly mount and not the front mount rapid system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2020 foreman eps, muck boots are no problem for me, went with a kfi poly plow with Honda specific mount and it’s been solid. Quick detach as well so that’s a plus.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I actually prefer the foot shift, and I always wear boots when riding. It might be slightly slower switching forward/reverse, but I just like foot shifters and it may possibly be less susceptible to problems in the long term.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kinda excited but kinda nervous. I just put in my order for a new 22 honda rubicon with power steering, I opted for the 5 speed manual. I am coming from Polaris sportsman and hopefully I made a good choice.

Two concerns -

first - I do plow my driveway with the ATV, is the 5 speed a huge mistake? I usually just wear mud boots when I plow so the foot shifter doesn't concern me but the going in and out of reverse with the little red lever may bother me. It looks like honda changed this design from a more cumbersome red push button to a simple red lever. I think with gloves on (which I typically wear) I should be able to do this pretty easy without much frustration.

Second - Tousley in white bear lake recommended the moose plow system for this wheeler. I went with a 60" black straight blade, added rubber flap, RM5 quick mount. Warn 2500lb with synthetic. Anyone plow with this setup? I currently use the polaris glacier 2 setup and like it because I leave the plow outside and pull the ATV in the garage.

All in all I am really excited and after lots of research and observation I just was not feeling good about polaris anymore. Too many electrical issues and their new plow setup is kinda weird.

In the meantime I'm patiently waiting till April till my camo ruby comes in.
I have a 99 foreman 400 with the foot shift from factory, and I plow about 6-8 driveways per storm with it (super winch 1000 winch, cycle country 60” straight blade plow) and it’s a friggin tank. Once you get used to the rhythm of forwards and reverse it’s easy. I’ll take having to manually shift it over losing the shift motor any day. I don’t have huge feet but I do still wear big Bogs snow boots and don’t have any issues. Same with the reverse lever, I wear winter gloves and while it can be annoying every now and then it’s not a huge deal. Not sure how it is with the new ones, but my old one doesn’t have much issue moving snow up to 8” and is efficient when plowing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glad to hear everyone. Super excited now. I’m glad I went with the foot shift.

long live manual transmissions!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 99 foreman 400 with the foot shift from factory, and I plow about 6-8 driveways per storm with it (super winch 1000 winch, cycle country 60” straight blade plow) and it’s a friggin tank. Once you get used to the rhythm of forwards and reverse it’s easy. I’ll take having to manually shift it over losing the shift motor any day. I don’t have huge feet but I do still wear big Bogs snow boots and don’t have any issues. Same with the reverse lever, I wear winter gloves and while it can be annoying every now and then it’s not a huge deal. Not sure how it is with the new ones, but my old one doesn’t have much issue moving snow up to 8” and is efficient when plowing.
I thought I wanted an electronic shifting model (or another manufacturer’s no-shifting CVT) out of concern about shifting in bulky winter snow boots. But now after seeing several posts like this, I’m rethinking that. Maybe a foot-shifting machine wouldn’t be as much of an inconvenience as I thought, which would then make a Foreman 4x4 more of an affordable option. I do know that I prefer real gears and a less complicated shifter over a CVT or DCT. Hmmmm … more decisions.

·
Registered
282 Posts
For what its worth I have a 2002 Honda Foreman 450s, as primary Plow rig. 60" Moose Plow
2nd rig is a 2002 Honda Rancher 350ES 50" Moose Plow.

I like the foot shift model better. Left hand does up/down on the plow, Right hand does Throttle,
Left Foot does shifting F/R have done the reverse bypass can shift to R without pushing red button really helps out.
Right Foot does braking or either hand.

if you have the ES shifting your taking time to shift or up/down or up/down on the plow can only due 1 at a time, with the foot shift I can be shifting from F/R and plow up/down at same time. If your doing alot of shuttle shifting to plow then cycle times to shift F/R and pickup plow can matter.

My machines are 20 years old and the ES shifting sometimes gives me problems when the battery gets run down. I have a foot shift bypass on the rancher but its not as nice as the factory foot shift on my 450S model

just my thoughts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah my current shitsman is not that easy to flip between forward and reverse. You HAVE to have your right foot on the brake pedal or you'll eventually explode the CVT. Then you have to jam that hand shifter to reverse. Then lift plow as you hold the over ride reverse button while throttling out.

Question - when I go from reverse to forward with the ruby, do I just click up with the left foot? If so, this will save a ton of time because I wont have to do that shitsman hand shifter sequence.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For what its worth I have a 2002 Honda Foreman 450s, as primary Plow rig. 60" Moose Plow
2nd rig is a 2002 Honda Rancher 350ES 50" Moose Plow.

I like the foot shift model better. Left hand does up/down on the plow, Right hand does Throttle,
Left Foot does shifting F/R have done the reverse bypass can shift to R without pushing red button really helps out.
Right Foot does braking or either hand.

if you have the ES shifting your taking time to shift or up/down or up/down on the plow can only due 1 at a time, with the foot shift I can be shifting from F/R and plow up/down at same time. If your doing alot of shuttle shifting to plow then cycle times to shift F/R and pickup plow can matter.

My machines are 20 years old and the ES shifting sometimes gives me problems when the battery gets run down. I have a foot shift bypass on the rancher but its not as nice as the factory foot shift on my 450S model

just my thoughts
Great info.

One of my concerns about foot shifting is my boots themselves. I have a pair of Totes (go ahead, laugh - but I love ‘em) that are pretty light duty, but fantastically warm and super comfortable for chasing the snowblower up and down the driveway. That and walking the dog is all I use them for, so they’re lasting really well so far. But I hear from a few owners that the shifter on the Rancher and Foreman need a decent kick to up shift, and I’m not sure how well these boots would hold up to that. I know I hate riding my bike in footware that’s any kind of restrictive, mostly because it made shifting a real chore. Yes, I’m a bit picky, but the overall objective here is to make that miserable winter chore less miserable, and possibly even a little fun. I guess the only way to know for sure is to find one I can sit on and kick the shifter around.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts