Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have looked through all the jetting posts i could find but couldnt find anyone with the problem i've been having...
i'm running my bike with the DJ jet kis DJ170 and the needle is on the fourth groove, i have a K&N filter and an HMF....the bike runs fine at midrange and topend RPMs but back fires a bit if i let off of the throttle at higher RPMs...but what is really botherin me is that idle and when j/ at low rpms it don't run smooth and even puffs a lil bit of smoke..thanks for anyone that can help..

Graham

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Interesting, first Ive heard of a 500 not running right with a DJ 170. Is the fourth notch what DJ called for in the instructions?

·
Registered
343 Posts
My jet kit from HMF didn't say anything about moving the clip on the needle, so I didn't do it. Just put in the 170 jet and turned out the air/fual screw 2 1/2 turns like the instructions said and so far no promblems. You can wind mine up tight and let off and it hasn't backfired on me yet. I even used to get a pop out of my stock exhaust going down big hills.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
QUOTE ("rga2006":fmw2ytgx)
i'm running my bike with the DJ jet kis DJ170 and the needle is on the fourth groove, i have a K&N filter and an HMF....
My kit (Dynojet) said put the clip on the 3rd groove of the needle. The grove on the short end of the needle being #1.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i had been running with it on the 3rd notch like the DJ said for below 5000 ft i think, but i was just tryin to figure out what was wrong so just messin around i dropped it down and it didn't backfire as bad but it still didn't idle right... i think i may try to put my stock needle back in and see how that turns out...thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
59 Posts
IM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MINE. AT IDLE IT SEEMS TO REV UP AND DOWN AND SOMETIMES SPITS AND SPUDDERS AS I GIVE GAS AND LET OFF. MY CLIP IS ON THE 3RD NOTCH OF THE NEEDLE. I HAVE THE MIXTURE SCREW SET AT ABOUT 2 1/2 TO 2 3/4. IT DOESTN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE HOW I TURN THE SCREW. IF THE STOCK NEEDLE WORKS BETTER LET ME KNOW.
ALSO HAS ANYONE HAD TROUBLE WITH THERE CRANK CASE GASKET LEAKING AFTER INSTALLING A HL CLUCTH KIT. MINE DOES AND I'M GOING TO REPLACE IT WITH A FACTOR GASKET, ANY IDEAS....

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
QUOTE ("ROWDYFOREMAN":17hwi3yo)
IM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MINE. AT IDLE IT SEEMS TO REV UP AND DOWN AND SOMETIMES SPITS AND SPUDDERS AS I GIVE GAS AND LET OFF. MY CLIP IS ON THE 3RD NOTCH OF THE NEEDLE. I HAVE THE MIXTURE SCREW SET AT ABOUT 2 1/2 TO 2 3/4. IT DOESTN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE HOW I TURN THE SCREW. IF THE STOCK NEEDLE WORKS BETTER LET ME KNOW.
I had to adjust my idle up a bit from stock.

QUOTE ("ROWDYFOREMAN":17hwi3yo)
ALSO HAS ANYONE HAD TROUBLE WITH THERE CRANK CASE GASKET LEAKING AFTER INSTALLING A HL CLUCTH KIT. MINE DOES AND I'M GOING TO REPLACE IT WITH A FACTOR GASKET, ANY IDEAS....
I used an OE gasket on mine, w/ no problems. Make sure it is not the shaft seal leaking as well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I TURNED MY IDLE UP AND I GOT WERE IT RUNS PRETTY GOOD, BUT WHEN I GET IN DEEP MUD IT WANTS TO DIE OUT. I LOSE ALMOST ALL MY POWER AND IT HARD TO KEEP IT RUNNING. ONCE I FINALY GET OUT I CAN GET TO RUN FINE AGAIN. WHATS UP. I'M USING AT DYNO JET KIT AND WONDERING IF I CAN US MY FACTORY NEEDLE WITH THE DYNO JET AND SPRING. N E E D H E L P P L E A S E ............

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
QUOTE ("ROWDYFOREMAN":phtpgmwr)
I TURNED MY IDLE UP AND I GOT WERE IT RUNS PRETTY GOOD, BUT WHEN I GET IN DEEP MUD IT WANTS TO DIE OUT. I LOSE ALMOST ALL MY POWER AND IT HARD TO KEEP IT RUNNING. ONCE I FINALY GET OUT I CAN GET TO RUN FINE AGAIN. WHATS UP. I'M USING AT DYNO JET KIT AND WONDERING IF I CAN US MY FACTORY NEEDLE WITH THE DYNO JET AND SPRING. N E E D H E L P P L E A S E ............
Is the spark plug getting wet? Are you going that deep? If the plug is not greased, that will give you a similar problem.

·
Registered
59 Posts
SINCE YOU SAY THAT, IT DOES SEEM LIKE IT HAPPENS WHEN SPARK PLUG IS UNDER WATER. I'M GOING TO TRY IT OUT AGAIN IN THE NEXT DAY OR SO

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
I usually have to fill our spark plugs up with grease a few times while ridin'.
It will come out after a while.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.