Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any major changes Honda made to their front diffs in the last 5-6 years? I own an '06 Foreman and my brother, who owns a 2000 400 Foreman seems to have less slippage going on in the front than I do. I know y'all will say the difference is between the seat and handlebars, but I'm looking to know if mechanically there is a difference or is it just that his smaller machine and shorter wheelbase make it more capable in the mud... Any opinions on this?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, love the tech insight. Now could you translate that into English? lol. Which is more efficient/effective, under which circumstances?

·
Registered
471 Posts
QUOTE ("Honda Mechanic":17685c4b)
The cam follower type will lock temporarily if you touch and feather the front brakes ..

Not as good as a locking differential but still better than the old limited slip type ..
i have a question about this. hitting the front breaks in 4 uses front and back brakes. ive tried it and didnt get any response.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
never done that on mine but i havnt been in a hairy enough of a situation to do that

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I have not tried it yet but when I'm stuck I'm stuck I just get help or fire up the winch.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just pull you front brake in you will fill it wanting to pull. Then start tapping it. I also put some of my weight on the tire that is not locking will I am doing this. It seems to work great for me. And trust me I have to do that alot because I have stock tire and I try to go through holes that I have no bussiness in. That will all change tomorrow when I get those 29.5 swamplites. HAHAHAHA

·
Registered
471 Posts
QUOTE ("06_foreman":24oe7k8e)
HAHA try using your back brake.
back to what i was wondering, with all brakes locked together hitting front or back does the same thing? am i missing something?

·
Registered
111 Posts
No I was just joking about the rear brake. That will not help. But the front brake will. You will be able to feel it if your doing it right. Just to make sure we are on the same page your right brake lever on your handlebars controls only your front brake. Your right lever is the only one you need to mess with.

·
Registered
34 Posts
QUOTE ("joecamel":1070rgei)
QUOTE ("06_foreman":1070rgei)
HAHA try using your back brake.
back to what i was wondering, with all brakes locked together hitting front or back does the same thing? am i missing something?[/quote]

when in 4wd and you squeeze the front brake lever, the rear brakes aren't activated only the front brakes are, but since the front and rear wheels are connected mechanically while in 4 wheel drive all four tires will brake. Same as if you just activate the rear brakes, all four tires will slow down

The differential allows the front wheel with the least force to spin, which sucks because it can sometimes be in the air while the tire that is not spinning is planted where it may get good tracton. The reason why "tapping" the front brake lever in 4wd is suggested when wanting to lock the front end is because the brake will put force on the spinning tire, this will even out the forces on both front tires, which inturn puts force on the non-spinning tire through the differential.

Hope my explanation wasn't too confusing

·
Registered
471 Posts
got it i now. i thought all brakes were actually applied when in 4 wheel. makes since(sp) to me now. thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.