Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe someone can add to this since we didnt really understand

My buddy brought his 2013 honda rubicon for service, they got talking and dealer told him its highly not reccommended to start and idle/warm up his bike or rev his bike in netruel . Esp when bike is cold! He said something about warming it up in gear has something to do with a bearing being lubricated ,

Anyone know what hes talking about??

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Haven't ever heard that. Maybe @toodeep or @harig can weigh in....

I just got an 05 Rubicon. Haven't really ridden it much yet.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
My dealer told me warming up a rubicon is a must as the oil is thicker when cold and doesn't flow thru the tranny as well as it would warm. Hmm.. lol

·
Registered
382 Posts
An automatic transmission can make any engine warm up quicker if you put it in gear.

Not sure about the Rubicon, but some automatics don't oil the rear of the trans in neutral.

·
Premium Member
13,155 Posts
The hydrostatic pump (transmission) only turns a touch weather in gear or neutral until you give it throttle and the centrifugal clutch engages. The centrifugal clutch drives the pump. If you read the manual you warm the machine at idle only in neutral when checking the engine oil.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So toodeep, it kinda is true if i read your comment correct, only warm in N if checking engine oil, otherwise warm up in gear?

The hydrostatic pump (transmission) only turns a touch weather in gear or neutral until you give it throttle and the centrifugal clutch engages. The centrifugal clutch drives the pump. If you read the manual you warm the machine at idle only in neutral when checking the engine oil.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
If you have the choke on and its in gear the machine wont be where ya started it for long.. lol

·
Premium Member
13,155 Posts
You can let it warm up in either neutral or gear, it wont make a difference unless someone bumps the throttle and it takes off. If the idle is set correctly and choke doesnt make a high idle situation then the transmission is under no power (centrifugal clutch not engaged) to turn it.

·
Registered
714 Posts
the hondamatic is spinning at all times when clutch engages in neutral or gear if that is what anybody wants to know. the oil flows all the time while running.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts