Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I decided it was time to change the diff fluids. Since I bought the bike used I really had no idea when they were changed last. Front one, the fluid was pretty milky and low, to be expected, I wasnt surprised. The rear one - I pulled the drain plug, and about 3 gallons of dirty water rushed out, then some really nasty looking oil, very thick, and black. So i flushed the diff with carb cleaner, used a whole can, flushed some gear oil through it. Then filled it up. What amazes me is how well the thing ran with that nasty mix of fluids, hopefully i havent jinxed myself, just an interesting story I thought I would share.

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
That would have scared me. I change my differential fluids about twice a year due to all the water that I ride in. I don't ride in really deep water, but you never know what may decide to get in there. Hope you didn't wait too late.

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
Bye the way, what type of gear oil did you use?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Rob, do you run any limited slip additves in your front differential? . I had some chatter in the front a few years ago and it didn't seem to be workin properly, had several Honda mechanics recommend using it. They said it would clear up the chatter and help to keep everything workin properly. I did.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I changed the diff fluids on a friends Rancher a couple months back. It is 2.5 years old and never had the diff fluid changed. When I pulled the front diff fluid, it came out like chocolate pudding. It took almost 30 min to drain completely, it was so thick. I used motor oil to flush it (3 quarts) then put in the Honda Shaft oil. It never made a noise or anything, it alway ran w/o any probs. Thats a Honda.

·
Registered
9 Posts
how often would u recomend to change it to be on the safe side i ride in creeks and mud try to stay out of the deep stuff but cant help myself sometimes

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
i am gonna start changing mine prob every third time i go out because i love the water and some how water gets in there

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
QUOTE ("mississippi man":6ttkizzt)
how often would u recomend to change it to be on the safe side i ride in creeks and mud try to stay out of the deep stuff but cant help myself sometimes
Just make sure to extend the vent up fo rthe brakes and diffs. That will help a lot.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Rob,I would recheck the rear again after a few rides.You poss could have a outer axle seal or bearing going bad in the rear.I extended my breather's and I use regular Castrol 80W90 gear oil,change it every 6 months and mine alway's looks new when drained.I change it alot due to heavy water use in the glades.Oh yeah I almost forgot,using brake cleaner and carb cleaner on area's where there's bearings is dangerous.I know for a fact because I'm a auto tech for a living.It actually eats away a coating off of bearing races if in contact alot.I learned that at a AC DELCO training course for engine repairs and rebuilds.Just a little inside info for everyone!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
when i bought my 300, i changed the dif fluids in it... it had to be the first time they had ever been changed...and its a 1990 model... it amazed me that it never made any noises at all running that nasty crap in it... the stuff that came out was aweful..

but as someone just said... its a honda...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts