Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After discovering this forum a couple of weeks ago, I have decided to upgrade my stock 99 450S. I am installing the warn 4-2-4, perfex long travel suspension, extreme disc brakes, and new knuckles/wheelbearing assembly. This will be the first time I have done any modifications or repairs other than routine oi changes, etc. My question is when re-installing the new components, does anyone have any suggestions on what is the best lube to use around the new wheelbearings, and what type of grease is best around the bushings. I didn't know if regular multipurpose grease would be best. Any other tips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the disc brake kit from Extreme outdoor products website for 319.00 with free shipping. It was a little more than I wanted to pay for it, but still cheaper than the high lifter kit. It's also easier to find replacement brake pads for, from what I gather. I'll be ordering ITP C-series 7 rims and 26" Swamplites from them in a couple of weeks. They have the cheapest price on this package at $569.00 mounted with free shipping.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I personally would go to a 27" tire and not get swamp lites, the ones i have seen tend to wear quick and cake up in deep mud, If it was me take a look at highlifter.com and check out there MST's great all around tires, they wear very good, ride smooth, and pull good in the mud. Just do some research in their forum in the tire section, you will get a wealth of info, hope this helps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The MST's do look like a pretty good tire. I still have about three weeks before I order any, so I may change my mind before then. I'm not sure about going with 27" tires though. Currently I don't have a jet kit or aftermarket pipe to help turn them. I live in NC, but trail ride in WV. I don't think the 450 has enough power stock to climb those hills up there with too big of a tire. I'm a little hesitant to add a jet kit to my bike because my friends that have jet kits always have trouble with their bikes when we go up to the mountains to ride. Anyone else have this trouble. I'm sure the elevation changes the fuel mixture and causes the bike to run too lean or too rich, but can this be solved by adjusting the screws, or does it take a different jet to run in the mountains compared to coastal elevations. I would probably get a jet kit if I knew that it would be dependable in both locations.

·
Registered
785 Posts
If your not going to be riding in a lot of mud then go with the Mudlites in 26 inch, they workd great for climbing and overall trail riding and decent enough in the mud. I did a 62 mile ride last weekend that a little bit of everything, actually, a little more mud than I like but I still never got stuck. I crossed a river that was high and flowing pretty fast and crossed it with no problems. You'll find that most people that like to bash Mudlites have never used them themselves but know someone that knew someone that had them and didn't like them.

·
Registered
475 Posts
i have the 26" mudlites and have had no problem what-so-ever with mine..we rode one of the Hatfield trails last month and had no problems climbing anything with them...get what ya like not what other people like or dislike...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I think just about any tire would be better than the stock tires that I have on the bike with over 2000 miles on them. Probrably will still go with the Swamplites though. Even though they may wear faster than others, they should last me a while because I don't get to ride that often.
Also, for the price of them, they are worth a try. I'll post whenever I get them ordered and try them out. About to go install the warn 4-2-4 and new knuckles/wheelbearings. The disc brakes and perfex kit are on backrorder, won't be here till next weekend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.