Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2009 Foreman 500 ES. Has not been used alot the past 6 months but never had any problems. Now sometimes when I
turn the key on nothing comes on. It will start with the pull start but will not shift with the buttons. Other times it will start right up and all gauges come on. Does this sound like the ignition switch, battery or what?

·
Premium Member
6,266 Posts
Check your fuses. Sounds like you have a loose connection.

My 06 had a fuse that wouldn't make a good connection. Fuse was good, but one of the lugs wasn't making a good connection with the terminal in the bottom of the fuse box.

Reactions: jbaugh

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Replaced battery, still has problem, will start checking all ground points I can find on it and break them loose, clean and tighten back up.
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was the ground on the starter. I cleaned the other two ground and when I took off the connector on the starter and cleaned everything by scraping it all good, it came back to life!
Thanks everyone for the help!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. I don't know what the starter ground would have to do with the shift buttons not working, though. Also, I thought the starter motor grounded through its casing mount.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was the cable that comes from the starter solenoid to the starter and uses one of the mounting bolts to ground to. But it was the one taking everything out electrically. My cousin has a 4-wheeler, small engine shop. He's the one that told me it was probably a bad ground and that there were three of them. So all three are cleaned the the starter one was definitely the culprit.

He told me it needed good voltage (battery) and good clean connections on the ES model for everything to function right and this is the first problem I've had in 8 years so I'm happy.

·
Registered
85 Posts
"It was the cable that comes from the starter solenoid to the starter and uses one of the mounting bolts to ground to."

jbaugh, I'm not arguing with you, just trying my best to understand that statement. The wire that goes from the starter solenoid to the starter is the +12 volt supply wire. It is not a ground wire. It attaches to a stud with a nut located somewhere on the starter. That is not a mounting bolt. It is a dedicated attachment point for the +12 volt supply wire. So, it seems to me that the wire you described is the +12 volt supply wire for the starter, but if I am still misunderstanding you, please clarify. Thanks,

-Ken

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're right. I described it wrong, sorry. Here is a picture of the cable that made it run. It's the one on the front of the starter with the uncovered tab.

Jimmy

Tire Tree Auto part Automotive wheel system Automotive tire

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks for attaching the photo, Jimmy. I've never seen a starter wiring setup like that before. I imagine that black wire at the uncovered tab connects at the other end to some ground point on the frame, right? That would make it act as an engine-to-frame ground connection.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You're right. I described it wrong, sorry. Here is a picture of the cable that made it run. It's the one on the front of the starter with the uncovered tab.

Jimmy

[iurl="http://www.hondaforeman.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36545&d=1489007369"]
[/iurl]

I am having the exact same problems as you my machine will not turn on at all anymore and I suspect bad wire or fuse box is bad I am going to try this tomorrow!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a 2009 Foreman 500 ES. Has not been used alot the past 6 months but never had any problems. Now sometimes when I
turn the key on nothing comes on. It will start with the pull start but will not shift with the buttons. Other times it will start right up and all gauges come on. Does this sound like the ignition switch, battery or what?

Hello there. I recently was having the exact same problems removed my ignition switch connector and the inside was destroyed and melted . Swapped out to brand new and now it works all the time! I guarantee that's the problem. So glad to finally help someone on here after I've been through the same pain hahha
Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try turning ignition key inbetween off and on and try the starter, I went to look at one now and checked everything but when I fiddled with the key it startrd

1 - 16 of 16 Posts