Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday is the first ride with all new tires...i have 27" mudbugs...

things were fine...

until i went down a hill and i turned left and heard a popping sounds from the front right side... got off and looked around. didn't see anything wrong so kept riding...

few hours later, coming out of a mudhole, heard it again and the front wheel felt funny when i turned...but i looked again and both sides looked okay...

now i do need to change my bearing on the left side but i can't seem to figure out whats on the right...i thought it may be the cv joint but i don't know how to tell...

now onto the carb... rode all day fine, had the problem with the front, still riding...i go through this one hole with deep ruts and the bike starts spuddering like i am not getting air...so i stop and the bike dies and wont start. gas is leaking into the airbox...i had this problem a few months back with the float getting stuck...i am guessing it is the same thing...

drained the carb, turned off the gas and ran it out of gas on idle...lifted it up on the back rack and dropped it...started right up but would run with the airfilter on...left it off and it made it all the way back to the truck....

i have no idea why it wouldn't run with the filter...

any help would be greatly appreciated. (maybe i just bought a lemon)

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nah its not that...but i will check it again...

it was more of a popping sound...

like the joint or something is bad and it kinda feels like it stops turning for a second...

i have never had anything wrong with the front except for bearing, and i go through bearings like their candy...

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

this was my favorite spot

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've been trying to figure that noise out also.Mine feels like the axle is binding but i upgraded the axles (canadian version of gorillas)to the axle systems axles and it still does it.I opened up the front diff,checked the linkages everything looks good Now just wait till it breaks to figure it out (hope it's a cheap fix). Mine only does it with the wheel fully turned and hammering the gas. If you figure it out please post so i can take a look at mine.THANKS

·
Registered
338 Posts
my 27's rib the bracket under there and it sounds like a popping noise.....as for the carb....is the carb drain plugged up? mine used to do that when i got in mud up to the floor boards and after i plugged my carb drain all that stopped.

·
Registered
471 Posts
cra5h,

i changed both front bearing a few months ago. both wheels were loose and needed it. i also heard popping and grinding on occaision during my last ride before i changed them.

after changing them and went riding again i heard the same problem again. turned out that i had several rocks in my skid plate that was getting in a bind when i turned the wheels. maybe that could help you.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys...

i will have to check that out...

is there anyway to check the cv joints without cutting the boot off? maybe i need some grease in it or something...

the carb thing boggles me, b/c i had a stuck float a while back...and it seems like this is the same thing....but last time, i had some sand in it...how would i have something in it now if it is sealed up and i cleaned it out??

the front end is fixable i can deal with that, it is the carb thing that pisses me off b/c it is harder to get to...

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i looked and i saw that one of the bands that hold on the boot had come loose...it wasn't actually off but loose...didn't look like anything could get in...

i cut it off and put a stainless pipe clamp around it...

should i put some grease or something in there???

i am really more worried about the carb...and why do i keep getting a stuck float?

help me out fellas/ladies....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well Sand can get everywhere. Have you take the bowl off and cleaned really good with some cleaner? I know a while back I flooded my engine with water and mud. I started it and it wouldn't go above Idle. I took off my fuel bowl and had a pebble stuck in my main jet. And I am talking about a pebble not some clump of sand or mud. A honest to God Rock. So you never know what can get up in those things. I would take my bowl off and use some carb cleaner on it real well. If I remember right you can even tke the float off. Held on by a pin I think. If you can do that then you might even sink it in some water to make sure you possibly don't have a pin hole in it that is keeping it from shutting off. My $.02.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i will try that again...

this time i will take the carb completely apart...maybe i missed something last time...

but will that still effect it so that it won't run with the filter on it?

·
Registered
64 Posts
With the filter deal. Was the filter soaked with water. If not then the only thing I can think of is that you have a rich condition. You can try a throttle chop test or see how many turns you have on your a/f screw. Also check that your choke is functioning properly. Another thing do you have a snorkel? Are you putting the filter on and closing the lid or is the airbox open when it is running with the filter? Try running with filter on and the airbox lid off. If that works then there might be a problem with the snorkle. Clog or restriction somewhere. That's all I can think of.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you have been a big help...i need to get some time to check this out...

i do have a snorkel, no water in filter...just a little gas.

it wouldn't idle with the filter on and airbox open but if i left the filter off and closed the airbox it ran great (no snorkel issue)

the a/f screw is hard to say b/c it is so hard to get to and adjust with the **** hmf in the way. that thing gets hot so quick i can only turn it for a sec and it burns my hand...

i may just have that set wrong and it is screwing this up...

when i cleaned out the float the last time, i jetted it while i had it open.

but someone said they found a rock stuck in the float, how does stuff get in there??

oh and i lost that little sponge filter for my crankcase...i am hoping that it didn't get sucked up in the carb during all the comotion of us trying to get it running...that would be bad i am sure.

i really won't have time to take a good look at it until this weekend.

but i am brainstorming like crazy, ruling out different things so that i can fix it quickly and get back to tearing up mother earth.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I hear ya. Definitely Check your air passages for that filter. As far as your a/f screw, If you used a 170 people are saying to turn it 2 1/2 turns from screwed in or closed position. This should give you a good starting point. When I jetted mine I just left it in the factory position and I have had no backfiring or problems. You can also try the angled screwdrivers to keep from burning yourself. Hey just had a thought. Check the inside of your air filter to make sure you don't have anything like a filter up in there. When you put it on last it might have gotten scooped up somehow and is in there. Let me know what you find. I am interested.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.