Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off the good news. I got my winch cable back on tonight. The kinda bad news is that I'm not really happy with how much cable I got back into the spool. It's on and tight but not as far as I would like it. The bad news is I blew a break line on my chevy this morning going to work, so now I don't have back breaks. The really bad news is I was going to put break fluid in the foreman but stripped out the screw head and can't get it out. What can I do to get it out? Kinda funny I'm more pissed about the screw than the break line on the chevy .

·
Registered
317 Posts
you may be able to cut a grove into teh screw wiht a dremal and then use a flat head

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
it might be just as easy to drill it out and retap it but justins idea might work to get the screw out.
-Aaron

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
sorry to hear about your run of luck, I have been there a few times myself. it can only get better.

sears sells a retractor set for stripped phillip screws. they work in reverse like left handed drill bits. They have a lite bevel on the end to make it grab the screw, they work really well. I have used mine many times and had good success. I dont remember how much they cost, I think around 15-20 bucks for the set. the left handed drill bit would work also, as the bit start to drill it heats the metal. apply alittle pressure and 9 times out of 10 it will grab the screw and screw it out.

·
Registered
317 Posts
yeah i have a set of them not my only complaint about them is they dont go small enofe all the time

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great update!

The place on ebay where I got my winch is sending me a new connector box today for free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
oh yeah toatly forgot about them deffinatly work wonders but eyt again sometimes not a smalll enofe bit the craftsman screw out things were like 10 bucks wheh i got mine and i paid like a little less then 10 for the impact driver too from harbor freight tho it has held up well even tho it isnt a high quality piece

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE ("Truckman":yx41vum9)
2 words....impact driver....................
the screw will come right out.
How am I going to get a bit on it? It's rounded out all the way. I really don't understand how it happened because I use the handy dandy honda screw driver that came with the foreman. I used it on the first one and it worked fine. I think I'm going to drill out the head of the screw take the cap off and try to use vice grips on it. Does that sound like it would work?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Just read this thread and that's what I was thinking.....Drill the head off completely so you can remove the cover then use vise grips on the part that's left after drilling.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats what I'm going to do after I get a new screw and after sudays ride. I don't want to do something thats going to keep me from going riding.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
QUOTE ("plumcuda":3f4ywt44)
Just read this thread and that's what I was thinking.....Drill the head off completely so you can remove the cover then use vise grips on the part that's left after drilling.
I had to do the same for a buddies Rancher before as well. Put a little anti seize on the new screw, and buy an extra.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What i did when i broke one of those buggers on an old Warrior was find a bit that'd fit in as deep and as snug as possible, get a 1/4" socket on a 1/4"drive ratchet, put it all together on the screw and put a quick-release clamp over the top of the ratchet and the bottom of the reservior. You need to apply enough vertical pressure to prevent the bit from slipping. Which reminds me i need to do that on my friend's '01 Foreman.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.