Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My electric shift has been problem.after problem, i want to be rid of it. But was told the foot shift is for emergencies only and using it alot can cause issues down the road.
I have seen a video where a guy takes the gears out of the shifting motor, and says that solves any issues down the road.
I am wondering what any of you experts out there might think about this. I hope the link to the youtube video works.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aOGueopc2kI&t=207s

·
Premium Member
6,256 Posts
What year is your machine?

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
It will work, the 05 had a weak first and third gear in both the foot and electric shift. Some didn't take much abuse and would slip and others would take a lot of abuse and never have a problem. Your gear indicator will always be blinking but you'll be riding.

·
Premium Member
6,256 Posts
Take shift motor off, pull reduction gears out, replace shift motor. That way you're not fighting against the shift motor and gears when you shift with the footshifter.

Pull rear cover, undo 10mm bolt, slide hex head shift shaft out and replace with footshift splined shift shaft, and bolt footshifter onto it.

I did it to my daughter's 350 Rancher. As toodeep says, your gear indicator will blink, but it will still show what gear you're in.

The 450's had different transmissions between footshift and ES, but the 350 and 500 had the same transmissions, so convert away.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much. I cant begin to expain how happy i am right now. Not only do i not have to figure out what the heck is wrong with ES, but i never have to deal with ES again.
Thanks again

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
You can replace the shift shaft with one from a foot shift model and then you can use the foot shift pedal. Some have built a shift pedal to slip on the es shaft but the other way is better, ore work but better.

·
Premium Member
6,256 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts