Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 2018 honda 500 with eps, I crash a few days ago and broke the front left knuckle and also the left tie rod, after I fixed up with my mechanic, we realized that we had the PS light on in the dash, so we check out that the EPS motor was ok and that everything was running good inside the EPS, my mechanic says that because of the crash the EPS computer burned out. Is really something like that possible, is the computer capable of burning out because of a crash ? seeeend help....!!!:crying::crying:

·
Administrator
13,111 Posts
What kind of mechanic? If a Honda mechanic was it hooked up to the computer?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
Watching this as @basfnb let his kid ride his DCT Rancher with EPS, hit wrecked it, and it's doing the same thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No it wasn't a Honda Mechanic, he already disable the hole unit to check that any gears inside the unit were broke because of the impact, now we are trying to find another ATV like the one I have to see if changing the EPS computer unit will return the EPS on, my question again can you burn a computer just because of a crash ? Already check everything related with electricity and the EPS.

·
Administrator
13,111 Posts
I asked because they can set hard codes that disable the unit until they are cleared/erased. It's not likely the computer was fried because of the wreck but anything is possible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what you mean is that maybe the EPS computer is blocked or with an error code because of the crash and that maybe with an Honda scanner they could erased the code, btw yesterday we got a Honda service mechanic(but we contact him out of the dealer ) that came to reset the computer with a rare procedure, he took off a connection and he made like a bridge with a cable and two of the concats of that connection, but that didn't help, we already test the motor of the unit outside and it runs, today in the afternoon we are going to take our computer to a twin ATV(same year, same buying time, same specs) to see if the problem is the computer. Any other ideas ?

·
Administrator
13,111 Posts
If the tech knew what he was doing he would have erased the codes or atleast seen them if there was any. He would have been turning the switch on and off and turning the handle bars at the correct times. There are about 5 latch codes that will lock the system into safe mode until they are erased.

Let us know the outcome of the comp swap and we can go from there.

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
If the tech knew what he was doing he would have erased the codes or atleast seen them if there was any. He would have been turning the switch on and off and turning the handle bars at the correct times. There are about 5 latch codes that will lock the system into safe mode until they are erased.

Let us know the outcome of the comp swap and we can go from there.

So to clarify, to clear the codes you don't need any particular equipment, it's a process kinda like initializing a Hondamatic Rubicon (series of button pushing etc)?

@basfnb

·
Administrator
13,111 Posts
Yes. Jump a few wires and follow the directions in the manual.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We just came from the EPS ECU swap test and when we plug the "wreck" Comp the PS light came on in the twin ATV, so my mechanic said to buy a new EPS compu unit.
What do you think?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also do any of you have a PDF of the manual of that ATV, or at least the part where it says how to do that bridge with the wires, cause I would like to know what does the manual says cause my ATV didn't brought any owners manual.

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys quick update, I went up with the DTC erasing code procedure(the thing with the handle and the screwdriver) and it went up my PS alive again, the mechanic from HONDA I contracted didn't really know what he was doing, I did the procedure my self yesterday just with the help of my personal mechanic holding the screwdriver for me and at the first try we made it.

Thanks a lot for all!

·
Administrator
13,111 Posts
Awesome.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts